Chapter 29

Cass kneels onto the ground George's head in her lap. The cold rain hits her as the large cut on her hand aches. Tears fall from her eyes as she looks down at George's lifeless body. Her body shaking from the cold. Mr Gilles groans in discomfort slowly raising his head up looking around with a lost and confused look.
" Miss Cass? Are you okay?" He asks stumbling trying to stand. Cass does not respond. " Where is Benedict?" Richards asks appearing in front of them coming from the back of the ship.
" Where were you?" Mr Gilles asks confused. Richards shoots him a nervous glance. Richards then looks back at Cass who still sits on the ground with George's body. " Cass? You didn't." Richards warns walking towards her. Her still not acknowledging him. Grabbing his sword with his hand as comes closer, his rage showing. " No Richards!" Mr Gilles shouts as he stumbles to stop Richards. Cass still looking away from them unresponsive. Loud foot steps are heard as Alexander comes from around the corner coming to a halt looking at the scene in front of him. His eyes widen in shock as he sees George's body and Richards actions. Immediately Alexander push's Richards against the wall behind them. Richards struggling at Alexander's strength. " That girl killed him!" Richards shouts as his voice grows quieter, his throat being held down by Alexander's bent arm pressed ruffly against it. Slowly Richards movements become slower as his energy wears down, his sword falling to the deck making a loud clang. " Where were you during the attack? Hiding?" Alexander asks angrily. Without response Richards body goes limp as he is finally choked out. Alexander letting him drop to the ground with a loud thump. Alexander takes a deep breath before turning back to Cass and Mr Gilles. " Cass?" He asks concerned kneeling down to her level. Her eyes closed as she remains still. His eyes drift down to George's body once more. " There's nothing you can do for him." He states putting his hands on her shoulders helping her to stand. Her posture is stiff as she still does not speak. " I'm so sorry Cass. George deserved better. Are you hurt?" Alexander asks softly. Cass opens her eyes slightly their swollen from her tears and the salt water. " He died protecting me." She speaks quietly. A moment of silence passes.
" Then he wouldn't have had it any other way." Alexander comforts. Cass doesn't respond.
" Mr Gilles what happened?" Alexander asks excepting Cass' silence. Mr Gilles shakes his head. " I don't know, I was hit from behind. I blacked out." Mr Gilles responds rubbing his head.
" You alright John?" Alexander asks his eyes still on Cass as she looks down. " Yeah i'll live. I'm sorry, I should have been quicker... If I had been George wouldn't have gotten involved." Mr Gilles responds feeling responsible. Alexander shakes his head in disagreement with Mr Gilles statement. " No one here is at fault for this..." Alexander assures to both of them. He then gestures for Mr Gilles to leave so he can speak with Cass. Mr Gilles nods in response before kneeling down to Richards sloppily lifting him up by one of his arms as another man grabs the other taking him away. " Cass?" Alexander asks softly. Her eyes finally drift up to his. He slowly brushes some of her wet hair from her face gently. She then abruptly wraps her arms around his shoulders in a tight hug in response to his gesture. He comfortingly puts his arms around her waist holding her tightly. His warmth providing a comfort from the cold.
" This isn't your fault." He states. She doesn't respond she only holds onto him tighter, grief stricken. Alexander's eyes look around seeing Benedict's fallen sword wedged into of the crates. " Where is Benedict?" He asks confused. " Gone." She replies simply, her voice muffled. Alexander's brows frown questioningly, he then looks back at George's body. " He killed George..." He states quietly. She nods her head in response.
" And you killed him." Alexander states looking at the bulwark and large mark on it from a boot. Cass pauses for a moment. " Yes." She responds as her voice cracks. Alexander stares at the scene once more. " Alright then..." He states slightly impressed by Cass' actions. A few men emerge from around the corner to take George's body. Cass turns her head to see them picking him up. She pulls away slightly Alexander.
" Be careful with him." She orders to them, sadness layering her voice. Alexander takes a deep breath also saddened by the sight. He then presses his hand to the side of her head softly bringing her back to him as she rests her head on his chest. Causing her to look away from George's bloodied body. She for the first time in what feels like hours, she takes a deep breath. " Are you alright?" Cass asks concerned to Alexander. He smiles softly. " Yeah... I'm alright." Alexander responds.

" Captain!" A voice yells loudly. Catching Alexander and Cass off guard. They let go of one another slowly, Alexander holds her hands still closer to her. One of the sailors running up to them. " Sir the crack from the previous attack broke open some. We were able to contain it but Sir we probably won't be able to complete our trip." The sailor states. Alexander takes a deep. Cass looks at him questioningly.
" We have to return anyway. We now have prisoners and... Cass must be taken back." Alexander says looking down at Cass. Instead of protesting his orders. She only nods in agreement. " Yes Captain." The sailor says walking away. Alexander looks at Cass and then down at her hands noticing her cut. " Let's get that taken care of." Alexander says leading her with him. " What will happen to George?" She asks softly. He turns back to look at her.
" We need to bury him at sea." He states. " Is that what he would want?" She asks interested. " George's life was this ship. Of course that's the way he would want it." Alexander replies smiling comfortingly at her and then turning back to look ahead as they walk down the deck. Cass looks around seeing a few dead men from the other ship scattered throughout the deck. She sighs as the rain begins to stop. And calmness fills the ship once more.