Chapter 10

Cass winches at the pain as Alexander presses a damp cloth to her lower arm. She sits on a medium sized bed as the ship slowly rocks back and forth. The black sheets are long and rather comfortable. Her eyes slowly begin to drift around the room. The Quarters is fairly big. Several maps decorate the walls. His wide desk is close to the bed it's dark brown, clearly old and worn. It's covered with more maps and papers, a gun sits on the other side of the desk also. One small painting hangs close to the desk. Of a young man and woman, it's worn and torn some as it is no doubt fairly old. Her eyes then slowly drift back to the man kneeling on one leg in front of her. He slowly takes the cloth away from the cuts. His eyes are focused on her arm as he holds it gently searching for other cuts and scrapes on her arm. His eyes then meet hers. " How does it feel now?" He asks genuinely. She smiles softly. " Much better now. Thank you Captain." She responds. He breaks eye contact and nods as he stands. He sighs heavily as he sets the cloth onto his desk. He then grabs a white bandage and kneels before her again and begins wrapping her arm slowly. " Very lovely couple." She says gesturing to the painting. He raises his eyebrows looking back at the painting, then back at her.
" My mother and father." He states looking back to her arm. " Yes I figured that. Your mother is very pretty." She says softly with a genuine smile. A small smile tugs at the side of his lips at her statement. Finally he finishes wrapping her arm as he stands and leans against his desk he speaks. " Yeah... she was." He says while looking at the ground and then at her. " Where are you from Captain? If you don't mind me asking." She asks warily before looking down at her own arm to examine it herself. He looks at her for a moment before answering.
" My mother was from Sweden. My father was born close to our village... as for me I was born here." He answers. She tilts her head confused looking back up at him. " Here?" She asks interested. He smirks slightly. " I was born on the Siren." He elaborates. She then smiles once again, this time impressed.
" That is truly amazing." She says stunned. And for the first time she's seen. He actually genuinely smiles at her. It's a very sweet smile, it radiates gentleness and kindness. His smile then fades fairly quickly. " And where are you from Miss Cass?" He asks folding his arms, returning back to his usual attitude a bit. " Oh i'm from the village." She states simply. His brows frown in confusion. " I surprised we have never met before then." He says simply.
" Yes... me too." She states looking back down.

Then a louder knock shakes his door. He walks slowly to the door opening it. Mr Giles stands in the door way. " Captain how is our stowaway?" Mr Gille asks jokingly eyeing Cass from behind Alexander. Alexander chuckles at his remark as Cass stands.
" She'll be alright." He states looking back at her. She nods as she begins to walk out the door. Mr Giles smiles nicely and steps aside for her leave. She stops and turns back to Alexander who still stands close to the doorway. " Thank you Captain." She says softly. He nods. " For what you said for me back on deck and for this." She adds gesturing to her bandaged arm. Alexander says nothing in response. With that she turns and walks away.

"Glad to see you alright lass!" George says patting her back as they now stand back on deck. She smirks at him.
" So am I." She says chuckling.
" Help me with the broken boxes? Or is your arm to sore?" He asks.
" Sure it's okay." She answers picking up the peace's of wet wood. " You sure know how to get out of trouble don't you." A tall but skinny man says walking towards her. She raises her eyebrow.
" I don't think we've met." She says. " I'm Cass." She adds. He laughs. " I know who you are. I'm Henry Richards." He says holding out his thin hand. She glances down at it then back at him before warily shaking it. He stands a good few feet higher than her. His brown eyes match his long hair. He has a patchy beard and a long neck, he's a bit lengthy. " I was busy patching the hole on the lower deck and I believe a missed the show." He says grinning. " Isn't that a shame." She fires back, unsure of this new acquaintance she's made. He laughs in response.
" Indeed it is! You're quite an interesting girl" He says. Cass lifts her eyebrow at his strange remark.
" Well it was nice meeting you but I have to get to work." She says ending the already rather sort conversation before she bends down to grab some more wood. She can feel his eyes still on her. Making her a bit uncomfortable. " Do you want anything else?" She says intensely as she stands quickly. " Is he bothering you?" George asks finally as he takes a few steps closer to them. Richards smirk before he then he speaks. " I was just trying to be nice, that's all. Wonderful meeting you Cass" He says as he turns and walks away. George turns to Cass. " You stick with me alright. It's dangerous for a lady to be here." George says placing his hand on the Bulwark. She begins to protest but stops herself. " I- Thank you George." She says as she begins to protest at his words but chooses not to. Richards hadn't bothered her, he had just caught her off guard. She wasn't used to some of the men being more or less kind to her. " Let's get to work." He says kindly. Cass smiles in return, except George she knew he was.