Chapter Four

I watch as Reagan fidgets against the elevator wall, her grey eyes looking even more dull than normal. I lost track of how many times she woke last night, and half the time it was from small night terrors. I don't believe I was actually able to sleep at all with the overwhelming fear of her sanity going. She seems drawn into herself as she leans against the wall of the elevator. She's always been that way though.

The only time I've seen her be herself is when she was with Vic and them. When the elevator comes to a stop and lets out the little bing she seems to jump a little before pushing herself off the wall and stunning. "Are you sure you are okay to walk? I can get a wheelchair or just carry you. I feel like carrying you would be the most simple one though," I offer. My wolf has the overwhelming feeling to hold her and to make sure she recovers correctly.

I watch as her jaw tightens and her eyes darken. "I am fine," she grits out. I hold back a laugh as I shake my head at her. She passes by me and heads right out the doors. I'm impressed by her strong will but it irritates me that she won't let me help. I follow behind her trying to figure out where exactly she's going.

To be honest I think she's a bit too lost in her thoughts to even know for herself. I make quick strides to her before gently grabbing her elbow and leading the way to my car. I open the door for her, wait for her to get in and then close the door for her. By the time I'm in my seat she's just sitting there looking at me.

"Is it okay if I don't? It hurts," she says, pulling on the strap of the seat belt.

I put the key in the ignition and turn the car on before saying, "that's fine. What do you wanna do today? We can go to my office and you can rest up there or my house, Vic might be there." I lazily look over at her just in time to see her lay her head back. Her pale cheeks are flushed red as she breathes through a the tiny gap of her slightly open mouth.

"Honestly, I want to do some work. Any type of work. I have always worked, Alpha. I, I can't stand feeling like I am no use to the pack."

I scoff only to mentally scold myself. As much as I don't wish for it to be this way, the runts here have the overwhelming desire to prove themselves. I blame my father for driving that fear into this pack. "Don't be silly."

"Please, Alpha. I need to do some type of work," she pleads, looking directly at me. Soft grey eyes filled with the need of purpose. Damn my father for doing this. For creating this rift.

Somewhere deep down in me, that ugly little voice appears. Maybe it's your fault. Maybe he found out and punished all of them for it. It's all your fault.

My wolf seems to growl in my mind, snapping me out of my spiral. "I have something in mind, but only if you follow this condition."

She perks up, a bit of life seemingly returning at the prospect of doing something useful.

"Anything Alpha."

My wolf nudges me to say it, neither of us enjoying her call us that. She shouldn't call me that. My wolf, he's a true alpha... I'm just a fraud. After observing how she acts around me I know she's not going to like it. "Stop calling me Alpha. You can just call me Archer, you have earned that right when you saved me." Her brows draw together as her nose scrunches up. I'm not entirely sure if she's more disgusted or shocked at this point. I can see as she falls into a quick rant of shock in her own head. It takes me a moment to realize that my fingers are running over the scrunched up parts of her face in order to smooth them out."Please?"

Why so desperate alpha? That stupid voice. My voice. Why must I do this to myself?

"I'll try," she whispers. I give her a small prompting smile. "Archer." She forces out but it has me perked up. I turn back in my seat before driving toward the place in mind.