Chapter 3

Well, the poll results are in and it's an overall win for Yolanda, which is good, because she is who I was leaning towards pairing Courtney with. Sorry to any of you who were hoping for Cameron, but honestly, I just don't see or feel any real connection between him and Courtney, but I do between her and Yolanda. Hope you understand.

Also, little warning, to better fit with the story, I'm slightly changing Yolanda's backstory. You'll know how soon, but feel free to guess in the meantime.

The next day was Courtney's first day at Blue Valley High and she was noticeably underwhelmed by it, especially after she'd learned that the school's gymnastics team had been shut down and she really wasn't interested in joining the cheerleading squad, since honestly, she'd never had much interest in cheerleading, since while the guidance counselor had said that it was a lot like gymnastics, to Courtney, cheerleading meant nothing but being surrounded by bitches and being expected to date jerk jocks. Case and point, the cheerleading captain Cindy Burman and her boyfriend, football player Henry King Jr.

At lunch that day, Courtney found herself struggling to find a place to sit.

"Hey new girl, you looking for a place to sit?" An asian american girl said.

"Yes, but why do I get the feeling that you're not offering me a seat at your table?" Courtney asked.

"Sorry, no room. But check out that table over there." the girl said, nodding over to an almost empty table where only three kids were sitting.

"Okay, thanks." Courtney said as she made her way over to that table as she took a look at the three inhabitants of it.

The first one was a black girl who wore glasses and had a brunette afro and Courtney could already tell that she was basically a ball of walking sunshine, since she had a huge grin on her face and it looked like she was talking to someone on a tablet.

The next kid was a boy, who looked maybe a few months older than her and the first thing that popped into Courtney's head was danger! Stay away, but she decided to wait and see if that assessment was accurate.

However, it was the final person sitting at the table that really got her attention. She was a pretty, latina girl who, if Courtney was guessing based off of her posture and facial expressions, was carrying deep sadness and regret within her. Courtney wasn't sure why, but she wanted to wrap her arms around the girl and assure her that everything was going to be okay, but restrained herself, since she didn't even know this girl's name, let alone why she was so sad.

"Hi, is it okay if I sit here?" Courtney asked, getting the black girl's attention.

"Yeah of course." the girl said as Courtney sat down.

"Thanks. My name's Courtney." Courtney said.

"I'm Beth. Beth Chapel." Beth said.

"Okay, Courtney Whitmore." Courtney said.

"Nice to meet you." Beth said.

"You too. So, what do you guys do for fun around here?" Courtney asked.

"Oh, we're not actually friends. We just sit together because we've been deemed in the same clique." Beth said.

"And what clique would that be?" Courtney asked.

"You know the singles or losers." Beth said.

"Speak for yourself." the boy said as he walked away.

"Well, maybe that could change." Courtney said.

"Yeah, not likely." Beth said.

"I don't just mean being losers, maybe we could be friends." Courtney said and Beth beamed at her.

"That sounds great. I've honestly never had any real friends besides my parents." Beth said.

"Well, I could use some help learning my way around the school and this town, so having at least one friend could be helpful." Courtney said, as for the first time since her mom had told her about the move, she let a genuine smile across her face as she and Beth exchanged phone numbers.

Courtney was about to ask the other girl if she wanted to be friends, when suddenly two jocks approached them.

"Hey, do you smell something?" the other guy asked.

"Yeah, it smells terrible. Must be the smell of dyke." the other one said, causing Courtney to be shocked at that.

"Leave me alone." the girl said.

"I thought you'd want attention considering the fact that even your own parents don't want you anymore." the first jock said.

"Hey, back off." Courtney said, not knowing why she felt the need to defend a girl she didn't even know, but honestly, she was shocked that more people weren't. She guessed it was that small towns were incredibly small minded.

"Oh look, it's the new girl. You screw her yet?" the other jock said and Courtney had to take deep breaths to avoid losing control of her temper, though it was not easy.

"Is there a problem here?" a new voice asked and Courtney sighed in relief when she saw it was Principal Bowin.

"No ma'am, not at all." one of the jocks said.

"He's lying. He and his buddy were antagonizing this girl over her sexuality. They even asked if she'd screwed me yet." Courtney said.

"It's true. I have proof." Beth said as she turned her tablet to reveal that she'd recorded the entire interaction from the moment Courtney had gotten involved.

Principal Bowin looked over the video for a few minutes before reaching a decision.

"Mr. Brian, Mr. Tompkins, detention for the rest of the week and I will be calling your parents about this." Bowin said.

"But." one of the boys, Tompkins, Courtney believed, tried to defend his actions, but Bowin just shook her head.

"No, I am trying to reduce the amount of bullying at this school, not encourage it, especially over an issue like this." Bowin said as she dragged both boys away.

"Sorry if that embarrassed you." Courtney said, since the girl had honestly seemed mortified by the whole encounter.

"Honestly, it was nice to have someone stick up for me. That hasn't happened in awhile." the girl admitted.

"My name's Courtney." Courtney said.

"I know. My name's Yolanda." Yolanda said.

"Nice to meet you. Think that maybe we could be friends?" Courtney asked.

"That would be nice." Yolanda said and Courtney smiled as she gave Yolanda her cell phone number.

I know, this is not like how it was in the show, but that is sort of my style. While I'll try to keep with the overall plot of the show, expect major deviations in how certain events playout. Remember, this is not the canon, this is how the show would be if I were the one writing for it. Hope that makes sense to you all.