Chapter 6-Same Old Story

By the fourth day, Tunji and six members of his and her family came for a meeting with her at the hospital. Tolani was not surprised to see them as most times in the past whenever Tunji knew he had really offended her, his next move was to organize a family meeting. Most of them had to stand in the small hospital room which had only two chairs. Only Chief Dr. Adetutu Adeleke, Tunji's father and Mrs Dolapo Ige, Tolani's mother were seated. Also in attendance were Uncle Ayo, Aunty Fadekemi, Uncle Lanre Ige; Tolani's late father's immediate younger brother and Aunty Funmilola Bello, Tolani's mother's sister. Her mother-in-law was absent as she was still in Tolani and Tunji's home, looking after the children. They took turns sympathizing with her on the unfortunate accident and reminding her about the values of a virtuous woman and the necessity of forgiveness. Uncle Lanre spoke last. Despite being a Christian, he was married to three women and never hid his chauvinistic nature.

"Don't forget the word of God. Ephesians 5: 22-23 says: 'Wives submit to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is the head of the church' It is also said in Colossians 3: 18 'Wives submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.' As the person representing you father, I appeal that you give it whatever it takes to make your home peaceful."

Tolani barely restrained herself from rolling her eyes at Uncle Lanre's preaching and quoting of scriptures. She was used to his eagerness to always quote the scriptures to buttress his points. Suddenly she asked him,

"What does Ephesians 5:25 say uncle? What about Colossians 3: 19? What do those verses say? " He was surprised at her question and didn't reply. I'm tempted to think he doesn't even know. He probably only reads the verses that suit his arguments, she thought.

"Did Tunji tell you all what he did this time around, on the very day we were launching our hotel, while we had guests and the press people all over the building?" she continued. They were still quiet. Her father-in-law cleared his throat and spoke.

"Yes Tolani. That is why we are here. He behaved badly, there is no doubt. As the good woman from a good home that you are, we will appeal to you once again to forgive him. It is what is expected of you. Do whatever you must to keep your home and everything will be fine."

"Can I ask something father?"

"Go on," her father-in-law said

"Does the 'irin ete' culture still exist?"

"Yes." Chief Adeleke said without hesitation. He had no idea where Tolani was going with these line of questions.

"If I was caught cheating on Tunji would I be asked to do the 'irin ete?" They were all silent as they suddenly realized where she was heading with her questions. It was a very heavy silence until her mother broke it with her scolding voice.

"Tolani! Aseju e po o (You are taking things too far).Okunrin wo ni o ki n yan ale? (Which man doesn't have extramarital affairs?)"

"Tolani," Aunty Fadekemi said "It is not a woman's place to make the kind of insinuations you are making. If your husband cheats on you, look inwards; ask yourself what you are doing wrong. A man usually cheats when the house is not peaceful enough or the woman is not making herself appealing enough. Look for solutions instead of asking questions that will make the situation worse."

"Tolani, we understand you are very upset." Her father-in-law said. "Besides, you are just getting better. I suggest you take your time to fully recover and we can address the issue of your marital troubles later. Mama Kola will be in your house till you are able to go home. Let's go everyone, let's allow her to rest." As he stood up, they all left with him except her mother.

"Tolani, ki ni problem e?" (What's your problem?) "I have told you several times, if your husband has the tendency of looking out, buckle up at home. If you play your part well, he will change and come back home to you. I've always told you that you ask too many questions, right from childhood. Every man wants peace, if all you do is challenge him at home with your questions, why won't he look out? Now you are asking questions in front of your in-laws, do you want them to start antagonizing you?"

"Can I just rest mother? I have a headache." She said as she shut her eyes and slipped lower into the bed.

Her mother hissed as she stormed out of the room. Tolani was not surprised; she and her mother had never really understood each other. Her mother's ideas of a model woman is a docile, passive one, taking everything society tosses at her and this had never sat well with Tolani as she had no intention of ever becoming like her mother.