Chapter 5

Mr. Mason was just settling down to his tea when a faint knock sounded at the front door. A few short moments later, a servant walked into the parlor to announce the arrival of Miss Weston. Upon the young lady's entrance, Mr. Mason stood and bowed low, receiving a slow curtsy in return. He dismissed his servant as Miss Weston stepped forward, placing a basket on the table, beside the teapot. The contents were wrapped in a white cloth, which Mr. Mason lifted gently, revealing an assortment of scones. Mr. Mason noted blueberries, raspberries, orange, and some chocolate baked into the pile of pastries.

"I wasn't sure which you would like, so I made a bit of everything," Miss Weston said.

"You baked these?" Mr. Mason picked out a blueberry scone and set it aside to have with his tea.

"Yes. I suspect that's why Linda invited me to Chawton, so she could eat more of my food." Miss Weston turned slightly pink at Mr. Mason's laughter, but she couldn't help but smile. Mr. Mason invited her to sit and poured her a cup of tea as she settled. "They're to thank you for the gift."

"No need to thank me, Miss Weston. It will be far more appreciated with you than with me." Mr. Mason returned to his seat and took a bite of his scone, which was as delicious as it looked. He told Miss Weston so, and she thanked him.

"I received a letter from my mother the other day." Miss Weston ran her finger up and down the handle of her teacup as she spoke.

"Oh? How is she faring?"

"She's very well, thank you. She misses me, of course." Although Miss Weston kept her eyes on her tea most of the time, she spoke more freely than Mr. Mason had ever seen, and he was quite taken aback by this turn of events. What he was not aware of was that Miss Weston had decided on a few things to say before arriving, so as to make her visit last as long as she could. "She's very excited that I'll be going home soon."

Mr. Mason, having just been in the process of reaching for another scone, lowered his hand. "That's right. Of course. The end of the week, isn't it? When you'll be leaving?"

"Yes, just one more day, and I'll be off to London." Miss Weston took a sip of tea. "Have you been to London?"

"Only a handful of times, I'm afraid. It's very nice."

Miss Weston nodded absently. "Yes, it's very...busy."

It was clear that Miss Weston did not relish the thought of returning to such hustle and bustle. Surely, she wished to see her mother again, but he dared to dream that was the only thing pulling her back. "I believe Miss Evans said that you moved to London not long ago. May I ask where you lived before?"

Miss Weston's eyes sparked with life at his question. "A very small town. Smaller even than Chawton, if I remember correctly. The kind of place where everybody knows everybody else."

Very much like Chawton. "It can be a blessing. And a curse."

Miss Weston laughed lightly. "Yes, I know. It's quite easy to get lost in London. Also a blessing and a curse."

"I should think you'd enjoy being lost in the crowd." Mr. Mason caught Miss Weston smiling behind her teacup as he plucked a chocolate scone from the basket.

"Not all the time."

Just then, a servant entered the room, announcing a letter for Mr. Mason, who took the envelope and dismissed the servant. Without checking to see whom it was from, he pocketed the letter and turned back to Miss Weston.

"Have you seen dear old Mr. Collins lately?"

"Yes, Linda and I called at Brimley Hall just yesterday. He won our last card game. I don't believe I'll be able to return home until I best him one more time."