Chapter 3

The party at Rushford that Friday evening began just like any other, with Mr. Mason's neighbors commenting on this or that new addition to the decor or else inquiring after his brother. No, he hadn't heard from Frederick recently, thank you, but he was sure his brother was getting along just fine. Mr. Collins arrived in his newest carriage, escorting Miss Evans and Miss Weston. The young ladies of Thatchwood had been planning to make the trip with Miss Evans's parents, but Miss Evans could never pass up the opportunity to ride in a new carriage. When she told her parents this, Miss Weston determined it had more to do with whose carriage it was, but allowed Miss Evans her discretion. Therefore, Mr. and Mrs. Evans arrived prior to the rest of the Thatchwood household. Upon the arrival of the new carriage at Rushford, Mr. Collins hopped down and raised a hand to assist Miss Evans and Miss Weston out. He then attempted to assist his grandfather, who swatted his grandson's hands away and teetered out onto the stone walkway. Miss Evans took Mr. Collins's arm, and Miss Weston took his grandfather's, and the party sauntered up to the grand entrance of Rushford.

The night was well under way when a guest observed the empty pianoforte in the corner of the main room. Miss Evans, standing beside a window with Mr. Collins, his grandfather, and Miss Weston, broke away and approached Mr. Mason, insisting that he must play something for them. She would hear no protests from him, taking him by the arm and leading him to the pianoforte. "You can accompany me. I haven't sung in such a long time." In fact, the last time she had sung was about three days prior, but that certainly seemed like a long time to Miss Evans.

After being coaxed to the corner, Mr. Mason sat down on the bench and readied his fingers for playing. Miss Evans whispered the title of a song in his ear and positioned herself beside the pianoforte. The dramatic effect was always far stronger when the audience wasn't aware which song they were to hear until it began, and Miss Evans could never refuse a good entrance. Mr. Mason began to play, and Miss Evans added her voice a moment later. It was a love song, of course. There was no more proper song for a young lady to sing, in Miss Evans's mind.

Miss Evans was rather a good singer, and quite the performer, so that everyone assembled stopped their conversations to listen. Under normal circumstances, the young lady would have acknowledged each of her audience members with a smile and a twinkling eye. However, though she hardly noticed she was doing it, Miss Evans seemed this time to be focusing all her attention on the opposite side of the room, where Mr. Collins stood. When she finished on a lovely high note, the assembled listeners clapped politely. Then Mr. Collins's grandfather, unknowingly speaking at such a volume that he could be heard throughout the room, said, "Howard, have you asked that girl to marry you yet?" There was a smattering of giggles from other young ladies throughout the room. Miss Evans cast her eyes down, a terrible red glow to her cheeks but the tiniest of smiles on her face.

Mr. Mason remained at the piano a moment longer. It had been some time since he'd sat down in front of the keys, and while he wouldn't call himself a virtuoso, he'd forgotten how much he loved to play. Many afternoons in years past, a young George would grind away at his scales and exercises, his brother Frederick banging on the lower keys beside him. They must have made a frightful din, but their mother never complained. At the very least, it kept the boys out of the kitchen for a time. Throughout his performance, Mr. Mason's eyes were often cast towards Miss Weston, who watched her friend sing with rapt attention. He liked to believe her gaze flicked over to himself once in a while, but if it ever did it was likely only out of courtesy. He was performing as well, after all.

Miss Evans returned to her friends, eyes still cast downwards. From across the room, Mr. Mason was unable to hear what words were exchanged, but it wasn't long before Mr. Collins led Miss Evans away to a less populated side room. Just moments later, a friend of the senior Mr. Collins hailed him, and Miss Weston was left alone. She stayed by the window, observing the chattering groups and the lively card game at the table in the center of the room. Mr. Mason stood from the piano and reentered the crowd. His plan was to make a quick round about the room and seemingly find Miss Weston by chance, but when he made it to the window it was to find Miss Weston no longer there.