3 • heavenly day.

The day that Eleanor Crain and Niklaus Mikaelson were set to get married was a beautiful one in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The day was cool but sunny on Tuesday the 16th of March 2010. In a dressing room at the back of the church where the couple were set to get married Eleanor sat in the chair of vanity with her eldest sister Shirley standing behind her gently curling her silky brown hair.

"I'm so excited" Nell softly tells her big sister.

"You're gonna look amazing" Shirley tells her sister shooting her a soft smile through the mirror "you already look amazing... you know what I mean.... you look gorgeous" she laughs wrapping a gentle arm around Nell's shoulder.

"Uhhh come on we still got a ways to go" Nell sighs with a bright smile on her face.

"I'm so happy for you Nellie" Shirley comments seriously before a knock rings out from the door before it gently opens and the eldest Crain sibling Steve peeks in.

"Hey" he says to his sisters with a soft smile on his face and he walks in closing the door softly behind him.

"Hey" Nell smiles back.

"Wow! You look amazing!" Steve tells his little sister making him smile at him through the mirror.

"Thanks" she smiles "how's Nik?"

"Oh him? He's great. I handcuffed him to a radiator downstairs. He's not going anywhere." Steve playfully tells her.

"Steve!" Nell comments equally playful.

"He's as happy as I've ever seen a guy" Steve tells his little sister seriously "and he should be" he says before pausing and smiling to his other sister "well anyway I just wanted to say break a leg and if you want to make a run for it I'll keep the car running okay?"

"Okay" Nell laughs before Steve smiles once again and leaves the room again leaving just the two sisters alone.

"Oh how lucky for us. A famous author at your wedding" Shirley comments with a sarcastic smile as she moves to the front of her little sister to get started on the makeup.

"You promised" Nell chides.

"I know. Not another word I promise" Shirley laughs with a smile before she hears the rumble of a car engine and looks out of the window to see something that gives her pause.

"What is it?" Nell asks as Shirley stands up.

"Nothing. I'll just be right back and finish up" Shirley reassures her little sister before she walks out of the room.

She's not gone long and as soon as she walks back into the room she gets started on the makeup again.

"Oh sorry bridesmaid stuff." Shirley sighs as she sits down.

"Is everything okay?" Nell asks with a worried look on her face.

"Everything's perfect. It's going to be a perfect day and a perfect wedding Nellie" Shirley assures the younger girl.

"Almost perfect" Nell comments with a sad smile on her face looking down as Shirley brushes some blusher onto her cheeks.

But as it turns out Shirley was right, the wedding, the ceremony was perfect and beautiful and everything that Nell could have wished for. As she stood side by side with Nik it was as though only the two of them existed in the whole world and it truly was the happiest day of her life.

After the ceremony everybody moved to a beautifully decorated hall to celebrate. The speeches came first, speeches that were filled with laughter and love and just incredible joy, then was the meal. After all of that the real celebrations started. Everybody took a glass of champagne before the first dance started and when heavenly day began to play Niklaus took Eleanor into his arms gently and again it was just the two of them once more.

While people watched on with bright smiles and filmed the beautiful occasion Nik and Nell gently rocked to the gentle lull of the music, their eyes never leaving one another even for a second.

All in all the day and the night were truly the happiest of both of their lives, beautiful and full of joy. But sadly it was something that couldn't last.