11: A Night of Transformation

Everything had changed day by day. Pansy completely ignored Cassiopeia's presence, sending her rude glares. Cassiopeia knew she deserved them in the end. She never meant to hurt Pansy, but she did, whether intentionally or not.

Cassiopeia had written to Narcissa asking about the Lestrange family. After what felt like forever, both she and Draco received letters from her, along with the outfits they were to wear for the Yule Ball.

The letter read:

Loving Cassiopeia,

I really miss you and Draco here. I hope both of you are doing well, enjoying each other's company. Kind reminder not to fight over silly things.

Anyways, my dear, I don't know why you asked about the Lestrange family. I am expecting an answer, but before that, I should tell you that I found something about them. There was a girl called Cassiopeia Lestrange who was murdered using an unforgivable curse. No one knows how it happened. She's the twin sister of Rodolphus's father. She studied in the batch of Draco's grandfather, Abraxas Malfoy.

That's all I know, my dear. As you asked, I'll keep this as a secret. But you have to tell me the reason you wanted to know, once you come here. It's sort of a mysterious story.

I hope you love the dress I have chosen for you. Draco told me that he chose you as the date.

Have fun, my dear.

Love, Auntie N.M

Narcissa had sent Cassiopeia a lace dress that was black and off-shoulder, shorter in the front and longer in the back. It was even nicer than Cassiopeia had expected.

Today was the Yule Ball, and Cassiopeia felt nervous as she donned the dress and black high heels. She looked at herself in the mirror, opting for light makeup to maintain the true colour of her tan skin.

After getting ready, she noticed that Pansy had already left her alone. Blaise had previously mentioned that he would take Pansy as his date, so Cassiopeia knew Pansy was all right.

She left the dormitory room and descended to the Common Room with trepidation, doing her best not to stumble in the heels.

As she reached the bottom step, her eyes met Draco, who was facing away, waiting for someone – presumably her. Cassiopeia cleared her throat, causing him to turn around, holding a box in his hands. He was dressed in black velvet dress robes with a high collar, making him look remarkably handsome. Cassiopeia had never seen him like this before, and it was clear he had the appearance to capture any girl's attention.

Draco looked her up and down, giving an expression of disbelief. Cassiopeia felt her cheeks flush and looked down to hide it. "Is there anything wrong, Draco?"

She approached him, trying to figure out what had surprised him. He continued to stare at her, seemingly in awe. "You're gorgeous, Cassie," he finally managed to say, and Cassiopeia felt her cheeks redden even more.

Draco held out a box for her, and she opened it to reveal a silver necklace with an infinity-shaped pendant. "Bilmey!" she exclaimed, taking the necklace into her hands. She looked up at him, seeing his rare genuine smile. "It's beautiful, Draco, thank you."

"Let me help you," Draco offered, taking the necklace from her hand. Cassiopeia turned around, pulling her hair to the side to assist him in securing the necklace. His fingers brushed against her skin, sending a tickling sensation up her spine. "Done."

Cassiopeia let her hair fall back into place and looked down at the glimmering necklace. Draco cleared his throat, getting her attention. She noticed he had extended his hand to her, and she took it without hesitation.