117: Troubled Waters

"You alright?" Pansy rubbed Cassiopeia's back soothingly as she nodded. "I'm sorry for what happened to you. I never expected him to break up with you."

"You don't need to be sorry, Pansy," Cassiopeia forcefully smiled. "At least I'm happy to have good friends like you and Blaise."

The days passed faster than they thought. Tom ignored Cassiopeia as if she never existed. She switched to her dorm with Pansy, and Blaise returned to his. She was upset that they couldn't spend time together because of the situation.

A few days ago, they received news that a Gryffindor named Katie Bell was cursed and was now in the hospital. Harry met Cassiopeia to talk about Voldemort once again. He strongly believed that there was someone in Hogwarts who supported him. He didn't directly accuse Draco, but Cassiopeia could feel that Harry suspected him for the incident.

Cassiopeia knew Draco had no reason to do it. He was now free from the killing task, and his relationship with Astoria was going well, which made Cassiopeia relieved. She was happy to see that he had explained everything to Astoria, and she understood, which meant a lot to Cassiopeia.

"Katie Bell is recovered," Pansy chimed in, looking toward the front of the Hall. Cassiopeia stopped chewing her mashed potatoes and let her gaze fall on the girl. She had seen her many times but had never spoken to her.

Cassiopeia noticed Harry talking with Katie. She diverted her gaze to her plate and continued eating. Pansy stayed by her side the entire time she was eating, knowing that she lost interest when she felt down.

Suddenly, her eyes scanned the Hall, looking for Draco, who had been missing from lunch for the past few days. She couldn't talk to him properly since he was always asleep when she went to his dorm.

Then, the familiar blonde hair caught her eyes. Draco had a horrified look on his pale face as he stared in Katie Bell's direction. Cassiopeia gulped, wondering what had affected him so deeply.

"I'm going to meet Draco, okay?" Cassiopeia finished her meal and pecked Pansy on the temple before rushing to him.

Draco saw her, but he turned and hurried away. Cassiopeia frowned and followed after him. He was quick with his long strides, and she had to run to catch up with him.

He turned a corner and entered the boys' lavatory. Cassiopeia followed him and entered, looking at his stressed state.

She wasn't sure what had caused this stress. She had never seen him like this. He was staring at his reflection in the mirror, his hair messy, his breathing audible, his face pale, and dark circles under his eyes.

"Draco," Cassiopeia called to him, and he flinched at her voice. "What happened?"

"Go away, Cassie," he spat without turning to her. He clenched the sink tightly until his knuckles turned white.

"Draco, look at me," Cassiopeia's shaky hand reached his shoulder. "What's going on? You can talk to me."

She was afraid of when his anger might explode, but she finally gripped his shoulder, turning him to face her. Cassiopeia gasped as she looked at Draco's disheveled face, clearly in distress. She couldn't fathom what was happening to him, and why he hadn't confided in her.

"Draco," she gripped his upper arms, desperately trying to make him meet her eyes. "Talk to me, what's going on?"

"I—I can't," he sobbed. "I cannot let anyone harm Mum."

"Draco, no one is going to harm Auntie," Cassiopeia reassured him, still bewildered by his statement. "With us as her children, no one could lay a finger on her, okay? We're there to protect her from anything."