Chapter 1 - The Job

A/N: First chapter of the series I've been working on! I'm so excited for you guys to read this!!!!

Warning(s): Swearing

Word Count: 5.9k

Credits​ @ 10amnoodles Check her out on Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram! her artwork is incredible and this series wouldn't be happening without her :)

I shut the rickety door and leaned against it, the weight of my body keeping it closed. A deep sigh left my lips, and I relaxed my shoulders, finally feeling safe. It was silent in my home. Jasper must be asleep. I pushed myself off the door and crept around the corner. The wall was cold to the touch, and I was surprised to feel an indent underneath my fingertips. I pulled my hand away to see a long crack embedded in the plaster. There were already so many in this damn house, not to mention the little holes in the roofing and the lack of insulation. It was getting colder every day.

Sighing to myself, I made a mental note of the new damage and peeked into the bedroom. There he was, his dirty blonde hair cast over his eyes as he slept. I put my hand on his shoulder and gently shook him, waking him up. He rubbed his eyes sleepily. Upon seeing me, he jumped up. "Mummy!" he said excitedly. My heart swelled as I took my boy into my arms and hoisted him onto my hip.

"How are you, my love? Hungry?" I ask. He nodded eagerly. I chuckled lightly at his toothy grin. He was always hungry, but weren't all six-year-olds? Luckily for him, I managed to get some bread for free down at the market. Mrs. Weasley, the kind woman at the bakery, has been sneaking me food for the past two weeks. And although I was grateful for it, I was also ashamed. I would've been able to pay for her tasty treats, but my family's funds had been stretching thinner and thinner ever since my mother passed.

She died on the first of October, just as the cold was setting in. It wasn't sudden; she'd been sick for a month or so before finally laying to rest. I had tried to take up her old job. She worked as a maid for a relatively wealthy family, the Greengrass'. However, when I knocked upon their door, a middle-aged woman dressed in my mother's old uniform answered. That had told me everything I needed to know. Since then, I've been scouring the village for potential work. I'd managed to get a few odd jobs here and there, but nothing long term, and I needed to feed my boy.

"What did you get today, Mum?" Jasper questioned. I turned to him and kissed his forehead.

"Just some bread. Is that alright?" I asked hopefully. He'd never been the type of kid to complain, but I knew that, as he grew, so did his appetite. Bread was quickly becoming dull. Sooner or later, he'd voice his distaste for it. To my surprise, Jasper smiled and squeezed his arms around my neck, giving me a tight hug. "Yep!" he replied cheerfully. My anxiety quickly faded away. I kissed his cheek and sat him down at the table.

"Did you do anything fun today?" I asked as I began slicing the loaf. Jasper hummed, thinking to himself.

"I pretended to be a cow!" he declared, looking proud of himself. Jasper had always been quite the fan of cows. His favorite activity was trotting around the house, mooing. In my opinion, it was the cutest thing ever, but I may be a bit biased.

"Did you? And how did you do that?" I asked, eyebrows raised. Jasper smirked and puffed out his chest. "I ate grass!" he announced loudly. I shook my head in bewilderment. "You ate grass?" Jasper nodded proudly. "Yup! And look," he reached inside his pocket and pulled out a bundle of green grass, dumping it onto the table. "I saved some for you," he finished, pushing the greenery towards me. I did my best to hide my grimace and gently placed his plate of bread in front of him. "That's...wonderful, uhm, sweetheart, it's not good to eat grass. You could get sick," I said quietly, trying to deliver this news gently. A frown appeared on Jasper's face, and he dropped his head, his eyes now staring at his lap.