An Angel

Twigs scratched against my palms as I raced through the closely woven trees. There was the flutter of wings as I crashed through the forest, my heart pounding and my eyes darting everywhere. I pushed through the tangle of trees and stumbled into a clearing. Out of breath, I looked up and there she was.
Standing there poised and graceful with such beauty, barefoot in only a thin dress even though the ground was frosty. Her dark silky hair cascaded down her back like a waterfall and her pale skin seemed to glow in the moonlight. She looked like an angel. Maybe she was.
She turned to look at me, as if only noticing my arrival now and her lips tugged into a smile. She didn't speak, she just glided over, took hold of my hand and guided me to the centre of the clearing. I felt something cold against my fingers and noticed an eye-catching, emerald ring on her finger. Heart racing I stared up into her bright green eyes. They seemed to twinkle in the moonlight and I realised they were the same shade as her ring. Letting my hand fall, she rested her hand on the side of my face. The other hand tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear, as she said "Why were you following me, dear?"
"Because you look like an angel," I breathed.
She laughed and it sounded melodic.
"I assure you dear, I am no angel."
And then she pressed her lips against mine and my heart stopped.
I woke, gasping. I pressed my fingers to my lips, they still felt tingly.
A silly dream I thought, trying to rid myself of thoughts of her. And then I realised, I was wearing her emerald ring.