Chapter Six: The Best Friends

"Ow ow ow! Red, let go of me!"

Ginny dropped his arm when they reached a private alcove and whirled to look at the beautiful boy standing before her. "It seems like your best friend has decided my best friend is his mate."

To her surprise, Blaise started laughing. "I know, isn't it great?"

Ginny hit his arm, and he winced. "It is not great!"

"Why not?" Blaise asked, completely bewildered.

"Because your best friend has spent his entire school career tormenting my best friend!"

"Oh, yea."

"Is that all you have to say?" Ginny screeched, hitting him again.

"Red! Stop with the hitting!"

"Red is not my name. Do you even know my name?" she hissed. Something about the man infuriated her.

Blaise rolled his eyes. "Yes, Ginerva, I know your name. Who doesn't? You're a bloody good chaser." He colored slightly at the end of his sentence.

Ginny stared at him for a second before breaking out into a wide grin. "You can call me Red. That's infinitely better than Ginerva."

Blaise smiled back at her.

"Now, back to business. What are we supposed to do about our friends?"

Blinking at her, Blaise asked, "Is Hermione going to reject him?"

Ginny snorted. "You obviously don't know Hermione. She would never in a million years reject her Veela mate, no matter who it was. And I'm pretty sure this is the worst case scenario."

"Why not?"

Sobering, Ginny explained, "The Veela would die, and it'd be all Hermione's fault, at least that's what she believes. She wouldn't be able to live with herself. So instead, she's going to tie herself to Malfoy forever."

'Blaise frowned. "As his best mate, I'm obligated to say he's not that bad."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Maybe not to you, but to all of us, he is! And she's already having issues with being someone's mate and no one even knows it's Malfoy yet!"

"What do you mean she's having trouble?"

Sighing, Ginny rubbed her temples. "My idiot brother is the worst."

Blaise stared at her, confused, waiting for her to continue.

"They were dating when she found out she was a Veela's mate."

Gasping, Blaise said, "They aren't still dating, are they? Draco will rip him limb from limb!"

Ginny paused, savoring the image. "No, they aren't. Hermione broke it off so when her mate found her, there wouldn't be an issue."

"She's really committed to this, isn't she?"

Ginny nodded. "Which is why we need to make sure Malfoy makes her happy if that's at all possible. He's not exactly what we imagined her mate would be like."

"What'd you think he was going to be like?" Blaise asked, curious.

"Someone nice."

He was silent. There wasn't much he could say to that. "Well, for what's it worth, he seems genuinely excited to have found his mate. She's all he would talk about at breakfast today."

"That's all well and good, but is he excited about it being Hermione? I don't want her to be in a loveless relationship for the rest of her life because she's too good of a person."

"I know his Veela side won't allow him to hurt her without causing himself severe pain. So we know he'll never try to hurt her."

"That's not good enough," Ginny argued. "She deserves better than that."

Blaise shrugged. "Then we make them fall in love."

Ginny's mouth fell open. Snapping it shut, she asked, "And how do you suppose we do that?"

Blaise smiled mischievously. "It'll come to use. Let's go Red, we have class to get to."

Ginny allowed herself to be dragged off down the corridor.