Reluctant Separation (1/3)

-Angst/Fluff        ⚠️ Cancer, Break Up, Anxiety

Summary: Receiving news that her grandmother, who lives in South Korea, was diagnosed with stage 2 Lung cancer, Y/n decides that she should move in with her grandmother in order to care for and spend as much time as possible with the woman who raised her. In order to do that she realizes she'll have to give up her relationship of three wonderful years. Instead of risking spoiling their relationship, they talk it out and mutually agree that a break is in order.

(friendly reminder that content creators love when you interact with their work, please don't be shy, say whatever the hell you want, as long as its nothing rude of course.)
———————————

Y/n sat in shock, trying to process the news she got. It took her a moment to truly understand the news, having been announced in her second language which she hadn't seriously used in almost five years. Despite the delay, the blow was still just as hard. Of course it was.

The woman who raised her was diagnosed with a serious illness. With her past medical issues and several surgeries, the chances she'd survive were low. Unless there was some miracle, it was only a matter of time.

While Y/n always expected this to come, she wasn't ready to let go of the woman she loved more than anyone.

She'd have to go take care of her. She wouldn't let anyone else do it. Her sister was occupied with her three kids, but even then the girl was always quite rude to their grandmother. Y/n refused to have someone mistreat her dearest family member, especially now that she's so ill.

It'd come at a price though. A price she would pay despite the never ending pain it would bring her.

She'd have to let go of her relationship with her boyfriend of three wonderful years; her best friend of six years. She wouldn't take the chances of a failed long distance relationship that would ruin their relationship completely.

She'd have to talk to Sykkuno, and she had to talk to him soon. Right now though she needed to calm down before she had a panic attack. She already was having trouble breathing, any longer and she'd be completely incoherent.

The last thing she needed was her boyfriend coming home to an unstable blob on the floor after visiting Toast.

Performing the 3-3-3 rule she would practice with Sykkuno during her times of severe panic, she slowly became grounded.

(For those that don't know the 3-3-3 rule, it's a rule/method for anxiety. You list 3 things you see, 3 things you hear, and finally move 3 body parts. It's the rule I practice the most alongside the 54321 method which is: 5 second deep breath, hold for 5 seconds, exhale for 5 seconds, 4 second deep breath, and so on.)

The next hour before Sykkuno arrived home was spent procrastinating and overthinking what would be said. As well as fretting the chances of a fight. She knew it was illogical, Sykkuno never really fought with her. Sure there was the usual couple bickering here and there, but they never really fought. Ever.

The only exception was one time a year ago when bickering elevated more rapidly than it usually did. Yet again he was quick to end the fight by shutting her up with a kiss.

When Sykkuno did come home, he was greeted with his girlfriend chewing at her nails, leg bouncing at a rapid pace as she sat on the couch. On instinct he rushes to her side, asking her what had happened. His concern only caused her to burst into tears. Why was he making this so much harder?

It took almost thirty minutes for her to inform him of the situation, almost incomprehensible, but that was another good thing about their relationship. It's like they both learned another language, being able to hear each other clearly even when no one else can make out their words.

"You should go. I won't stop you from looking after your grandma, N/n, cause I know if it came down to it, you would do the same for me," Sykkuno says, clearly upset, if his glassy eyes were a tell, but not letting it cloud his judgment, "and when you're able to come home, Bimbus and I will be right here waiting for you."

"Thank you," she gets out through breathy sobs, "I love you, so fucking much."

"I love you too, princess. So, so much."

—————

FIN.
Word Count: 737

This first story collection is angst/fluff.. sorry. ❤️

(Made some edits :))