Chapter 3

Chapter 3 Exciting News

When the school day was over, the students all ran into the coat room, grabbed their stuff, and quickly ran out of the school house. Anne and Diana, however, took their time and talked to one another on their way to the door. They weren't the only ones left in the school house though. Gilbert was waiting for them.

"Gilbert" Anne said with a smile on her face. He smiled back and they held each other's gaze for a couple of seconds until Diana spoke.

"Well Anne, I must hurry home to help Minnie May with her lessons," she said with a knowing smile. "Bye Anne, bye Gilbert" she said happily. She opened the door and left the school house to leave the two oblivious teens by themselves.

"Anne" he said happily. "I was wondering if I may walk you home" he asked hopefully. Anne was about to respond when Gilbert continued. "I have something to ask you, Mr. And Miss. Cuthbert."

Anne smiled. "Of course you can walk with me Gilbert"

"Well, shall we?" He asked opening the door for her. She gave him a nod and walked out.

"You know Mr. Blythe, I am capable of opening doors for myself" she said smiling as they walked out of the school house.

"I know," he replied. "But I wanted to be polite and open it for you instead" he said with that boyish grin on his face. Anne blushed slightly and turned away.

They walked through the woods with a high sense of familiarity. The snow lightly crunching under their feet and the birds chirped over their heads. Anne, forgetting Gilbert was walking with her, started to run forward and walk around the trees. She stood in the middle of the forest, fascinated by its beauty, and started skipping. Gilbert had a big smile on his face, which he hoped she hadn't seen, and continued to walk behind Anne. She kept skipping when she stopped as she approached a big, old, wild oak tree. The leaves were gone, but it was still one of the most magnificent trees Anne had ever encountered. She stood in front of it and turned around to meet Gilbert's eyes.

"Oh Gilbert, I'm sorry I forgot we were walking together," she said shyly. "I just couldn't help myself from running around and looking at the beauty of nature." She said happily, her eyes scanning the forest in all its wonderment.

"It's alright," he said with a soft smile, looking at Anne with the usual look that was reserved for her, just for Anne Shirley-Cuthbert. She noticed it and blushed slightly, again, and turned her attention back to the big oak tree that resided in front of her. Gilbert didn't take his gaze off of her until she asked him a question.

"What do you think we should name this beautiful tree?" Anne asked quietly. She looked at Gilbert with a smile.

Gilbert smiled. "How about..." He thought for a second as he walked around the tree. After pondering for couple of moments, he stopped abruptly in front of Anne with a smile.

"Adeline" he said proudly. Anne squealed and nodded in excitement and looked at the oak tree.

"Adeline is now your name," Anne said excitedly.

She turned around and looked at Gilbert.

"Thank you Gilbert. That is a beautiful name for tree as beautiful and majestic as this one." She gave him a wide smile which he reciprocated.

They stood there, on a couple of feet apart, just looking at each others eyes, at ease in each other presence.

Anne looked a Gilbert and seemed to see him a different light. She saw his handsome, brown, curly hair and beautiful hazel eyes. She looked closer and noticed that there were some small freckles on his face that made him even more handsome. 'If that was even possible,' she said to herself. 'Wait! Snap out of it Anne. You can't think this way about your friend.' Her lips formed into a small smile and, absentmindedly, sighed.