Chapter 6

Chapter 6 The Shortly Anticipated Dinner Part 2

The drive was pleasant and the sun was slowly setting to a beautiful hue of colours; ranging from different shades of blue, pink, yellow, and orange. The trees were bare, as their leaves had already fallen in the Fall, but they looked much more winsome with the beautiful sunset in the background. Light snow quietly crunched under the wheels of their buggy as they made their way through the woods. It truly was a sight to behold and be immersed in.

As they approached the clearing leading out of the woods, they were met with the sight of Gilbert's house and apple orchard. Of course the orchard was bare due in part to the cold, but the land was beautiful nonetheless. The roof and yard had some light snow on it as well which gave off a comfortable, welcoming feeling.

They got out of the buggy and as they approached the door and stood on the porch, Anne suddenly became really nervous. 'It's just a dinner. I've eaten with Gilbert before. It's not like it's a new thing. There's nothing to be apprehensive about.'  She put on a smile and knocked on the door.

They heard noise coming from the other side of the door and a second later, came face to face with a smiling Bash.

"Good evening Matthew, Marilla and Anne," he smiled, emphasizing Anne's name.

As soon as her name left Bash's mouth, Gilbert came to great them at the door, seemly out of breath with a smile.

His smile widened once he caught sight of Anne. 'She looks so beautiful.' He opened his mouth to say something, but shut it, for he was at a lost for words. Gilbert just stood their smiling, taking in all her beauty. Luckily, Bash was watching this whole interaction with a smirk on his face, and decided to step in to save the "love birds" from further embarrassment.

"Matthew, Marilla, would you like to come in?" Bash asked, motioning towards the doorway. At this, Anne and Gilbert seemed to break out of their trance and shyly looked down at their feet. They were blushing like crazy, which they hoped wasn't noticeable in the soon-to-be dark atmosphere outside.

Marilla, with a knowing smile on her lips, replied, "Yes that would be great." And her and Matthew walked into the house.

Anne finally looked up from her shoes, and walked in after Matthew and Marilla, purposely avoiding eye contact with Gilbert and Bash. When the Cuthbert's were out of earshot, Bash pulled Gilbert aside to talk.

"What was that about," Bash asked, with a smirk. "You were obviously starin' at Miss Anne of Green Gables, and you better not tell me she is "just a friend."

Gilbert laughed. "I was not "obviously staring" at her. I was just... gazing in her direction" he replied with a nod.

Bash laughed out loud.

Gilbert quickly put a hand over his mouth, and motioned with his other hand to be quiet. When Bash had calmed down and stopped laughing, Gilbert lowered his hand.

"You need to stop actin' like a moke and confess your feelings, Blythe," Bash said. "Be a man," he joked with a wink and walked back into the kitchen.

Gilbert stood there for a couple of minutes processing what Bash had said.

He wants to tell Anne. Ever since he realized he had some sort of feelings for her. But he can't; they had just started to become friends and she doesn't reciprocate those feelings. Gilbert convinced himself that friendship would be enough, but deep inside, he knows he wants to be more than friends with Anne Shirley-Cuthbert.

He shook his head from his reverie and walked into the parlor, where Bash, Mary, the Cuthbert's, and sweet baby Delphine were seated.

Mary looked up as Gilbert walked in, and glanced in Matthew and Marilla's direction.

"Matthew, Marilla, would you both come with me for a second? I would very much like to show you the new outfit I made for Delphine," she said with a grin that she was unsuccessfully trying to cover up.

Marilla stood up with a small smile and nodded. Matthew, on the other hand, was completely oblivious to the interaction and didn't know why he was now looking at a new dress. But he didn't complain and just walked along with Bash.

Anne scoffed.

Gilbert looked at her. "What's wrong?"

Anne gestured with her hand in the direction of the adults who were now walking away. "Them. Them and their persistence to, I don't know, leave us alone to do God knows what!"

Gilbert was stifling a laugh.

She then looked at him. "And just what is so funny?"

"You don't seem to really enjoy my company that much, Shirley. You seem very against sitting in a room, while some adults are venturing somewhere else for a couple of minutes." Gilbert suddenly turned serious. "Unless, you really don't like my company?"

Anne sighed. "No. Your company is fine, but I am really hungry. Also it's Shirley-Cuthbert to you, Blythe," she added with a smirk.

Gilbert smiled all whilst leaning back into the couch, his arms crossed across his chest. "I know what you mean."

The adults came back at what could be construed as "the right time" and then they all sat at the table to eat.

They prayed and immediately started eating the delicious dinner Mary and Bash had cooked up. (Gilbert watched Dellie whilst they made the food.)

Mary was the one to initiate conversation.

"So Anne, how has school been going? Still top of the class?" she said with wink.

Gilbert swallowed and interjected. "Second, actually." He smirked in Anne's direction.

Anne threw a faux laugh his way. "I would love to argue over the fact that I'm top of the class, Blythe, but for sake of an argument I'll say that we are tied. And Mary, school has been going marvelously. We actually had a spelling bee today and I won! It was very stimulating actually."

Though Anne never noticed it, while she was on her current rant about school, Gilbert's eyes never left her face. Well, either she didn't notice or she did but ignored it... Probably the latter of the two.

Mary smiled. "Well, that's wonderful. Regardless of your placement in class, the both of you, I'm so glad the spelling bee went well."

Anne looked in Gilbert's direction with the intention of giving him a polite smile in agreement to what Mary said, but she found his eyes already on her. His eyes were soft, carrying so much emotion-though Anne couldn't pinpoint what emotion it was-and he gave the smallest and most sincerest of smiles her way. Anne noticed it and looked away blushing.

Bash was grinning from ear to ear but continued conversation. "Matthew, how have the crops been?"

Matthew swallowed the bite of food he had in his mouth and then gave a reply. "They've been fine. Wish I could get more work done, but me and my farmhand Jerry need to wait for the the winter weather to officially end."

Bash nodded. "I understand. Blythe and I can't get anything done either. Not to mention his heads been in the clouds an awful lot lately."

"That's not true," Gilbert replied semi-defensively. "I've just been busy with school. Need I remind you that I am top of the class."

Anne looked at him. "I thought we said tied, for now at least. I guarantee, nay, I know that I will be top of the class, Blythe. And don't forget it."

Gilbert smiled. "Wouldn't dream of it, Shirley," he said softly. "Wouldn't dream of it..."

                  --——————

Hello all you beautiful people! Wow, I'm not dead lol. I'm so sorry it took me so long to post this chapter; it just took me too damn long to write. I hope you enjoyed it though!!! Hopefully it makes up for my very inconsistent updates and you all liked it! Love y'all!!

-A💛