five

A/N: the beginning of this chapter takes place at the same time as the previous one, if that makes any sense. so while magnus is contemplating life in his room, alex is freaking out.
alex pov
huh. okay.

i slumped down against my door and rested my head on my hands. i should really stop destroying my pottery. it's a waste of clay, really. i picked up a shard of clay and played with it in my hands, losing myself in a train of thoughts.

i am calm. very calm. i can picture myself on the seaside, hearing the comforting sound of waves crashing and birds chirping. everything is okay. the world couldn't be any better, and i am in the best headspace. no worries, no doubts, no fears. living the life. tranquility. peace. i am oka-

alright screw this. fuck everything. i threw the shard of clay across my room, and it hit the ground with a deafening crash.

why me? why magnus of all people? why us?

i rubbed my ankle with my hand, then traced the letter M with my finger. the only reasonable explanation is that our soulmates changed. i'm assuming since we're both, well, dead, the rules written in the universe don't apply to us anymore. to be fair, when have they ever?

fuck. i hate this.

i let out a frustrated yell and threw myself on my pink and green bedsheets.

i lifted my leg in the air and looked at my new soulmate mark again.

M.

if i recall correctly, magnus had an A.

huh. interesting.

oh goddamn it.

shit. maggie, you bastard.

i felt heat rise to my face, and i had no doubt that my face was the darkest shade of red there is.

as much as i may act tough and pretend nothing bothers me, i hate to admit that i'm a hopeless romantic.

seeing adrien's name disappear did hurt me. i really liked him, and i hate how he just left me alone. i had the mark to remind me of him, but now it's gone, just like that.

i was in a bad place for a long time. when i first arrived at valhalla, i was disoriented and confused as to why i deserved to be here. my existence caused trouble for everyone i knew, and the last thing i wanted was to be stuck in this god awful hotel.

that is, until i met magnus. insufferable, stupid, dumbass maggie.

he's terrible at hiding his emotions. it's been so obvious he's smitten with me since day one. i pretend i don't notice, but gods, he makes it so painfully obvious sometimes. like when he sneaks 'subtle' glances at me, which are everything but subtle. i know he likes me, so why do i still get so flustered when he accidentally shows his feelings towards me?

i don't want to think about this anymore. can we really be soulmates? it seems like the only logical explanation, but this whole situation doesn't feel real.

damn him. he probably hasn't figured it out, considering how oblivious he is.

i can't take this anymore. i need some air.

i walked over to my door and opened it, hitting something that was most certainly not air.

ah, dumbass maggie.

"what the hell, magnus?" i exclaimed. "i told you. i would much rather prefer to be alone right now, thank you very much."

"okay, well, i would much rather be with you, thank you very much." he responded.

my eyes widened, and i felt heat rush to my face. dumbass! does he even realize what he's saying?

i gained my composure, coughed, and put on this 'do not screw with me look'.

"thirty seconds. you have thirty seconds to talk, maggie, then i'm leaving." i said.

magnus took a deep breath and started. "okay! alex, i know you don't like to talk about personal stuff like this, but we need to talk! my god, do you think you can figure this out by yourself? hate to break it to you, but i'm in this mess too! for some reason, we both lost our marks, and we now have random letters," he said hurriedly with his hands flailing around everywhere, "if we want to figure this out, we need to be together. all i'm asking is that you don't run away from me anymore and cooperate, okay?"

magnus took a deep breath then exhaled. "wow. sorry, i don't know where that came from," he said with a small chuckle.

i smiled slightly at seeing him lose his composure like that and laughed. "i guess you had a lot to say, huh?" i said with a hand in front of my mouth, covering my smile.

magnus pouted. aw, how adorable. maggie's pouting.

i sighed and crossed my arms. there's no getting out of this, is there? i'm stuck with an oblivious magnus for who knows how long.

i'm almost certain we're soulmates. gods i hate myself for saying that, but i'm sure of it. i started to blush thinking about magnus and i being together, but quickly dismissed the thought.

"alright, maggie," i motioned to my open door, "you win. come in. oh, be sure to watch your step."

"gee, thanks. and stop calling me that!"

i laughed and flicked his forehead with my finger. "no thanks, i'll pass. thanks for the suggestion though!"

i walked past him and shut the room to my door. the mood suddenly changed, and it seems like we both started to realize how serious the situation really is.

i laid down on my bed and stretched out to make sure magnus didn't have any room to sit. i figured i could ease the tension if i played around a bit.

"i've been shunned. is this how you treat your dearest friend? i'm hurt." magnus said with a hand over his heart.

"fine, fine," i whined as i moved my legs, making room for him on the bed, "since you're my dearest friend, i suppose you have the rights to sit."

"thank you," he said as he sat down next to my feet.

we stayed in complete silence for a good ten minutes or so. it was nice hearing him shut up for once.

"we have no idea what to do," magnus said.

"yep," i replied.

"this is a bad situation, but we just have to wait it out, don't we?"

"yep."

"there's no point in trying to figure it out."

"yep."

i picked myself up off the bed before i fell asleep and turned to magnus. "what now?"

"who knows," he replied.

—-
A/N: aaaaand another update! i must confess, i started writing something new that's way out of my comfort zone. it's solangelo... lemon. i'm thinking of publishing it, but i'm not sure.. it's just a one shot. i don't know, should i publish it?