22- Relax

Haru was scheming.

  Or at least, I think he was-  he'd been silent most of the evening, even after Momiji had tried to get him to include himself in our conversations.  We arrived at the estate at sunset, and then it was time to say goodbye to the two boys. 

  "I had a lot of fun today-"  I started, kicking at a rock on the ground.  "Thank you for inviting me to go with you."

  "I had so much fun!!"  Momiji exclaimed, bouncing up and down on his toes.  "We should do this again sometime!"

  "Yes!  Although next time we should do something a little more lowkey-"  I thought back to him jumping on me behind the bathroom.  "Something safer."

  "Got it!  We should get inside before Ha-chan gets mad at us!  I wanna tell him everything that happened today!"

  "You go on in."  Haru motioned towards the estate, leaning against the big gate.  "I wanna talk to Mei for a second."

  "Uh-oh."  I mumbled.

  "Okay!"  Momiji smiled widely.  "Have fun!  Don't be too mean Haru!"  With that he skipped inside, leaving the two of us standing outside in the setting sun.

  "Is- is something wrong?"  I asked, tugging at one of my hairties.  "You didn't like- go dark or something right?"

  "No.  No I'm all good."  He shrugged.  "I wanna do something, but Momiji would have been a liability."

  "A liability?"  I raised an eyebrow.  "You aren't going to commit a crime right?  You aren't planning to mug me or something?"

  "God Mei-"  He laughed, pushing off of the wall.  "Just be quiet and follow me, okay?"  He grabbed my hand and started pulling me up the hill towards a grove of trees.

  "Haru, I have to get home!  My mom is gonna be pissed if I don't get home before the moon is up!"  I struggled against his hold, although I know it was useless.

  "Lie to her."  He turned back around to face me.  "Live a little."

  "What?"

  "C'mon- you've lied to her before.  What's once more?  Tell her you're going to the student council president's house or Thoru-san's or something."  He had a sly smirk on his face, and I almost wanted to do exactly what he said.

  "No- I can't keep lying for you Haru.  It's not right."  I furrowed my brows, trying to look menacing.

  "Then I have to kidnap you."  He shrugged, letting go of my hand and grabbing me by the legs like he had when he carried me to Hatori's.

  "Haru!  Put me down!  Put me down you asshole!"  I banged my fists against him in annoyance.  "Haru!"

  "Call Someone, or I'm not putting you down till we get where I wanna go."  He spoke lazily, turning his head to look me in the eyes.

  I huffed, going limp.  "Fine.  But if I get in trouble this is your fucking fault."

  "I'll take the blame."  He agreed.

  "Alright."  I bit my lip, a rush of excitement coming to my body as he set me down.  I pulled my phone out of my pocket and rang up Makato with a grin spreading across my face. 

  "Mei?"  He answered on the second ring.  "Hey, what's going on?"

  "Hey!"  I spoke chipperly.  "I've got a request- If my mom calls you, can you tell her I'm at your house?"

  "What?"

  "Time's ticking Mei-"  Haru pointed to his wrist, miming an invisible watch.

  "Is that Hatsuharu-san?  Mei?  Where are you?"  Makato exclaimed.

  "I've got to go, just- remember what I said!"

  "Wait Mei!"

  "Bye!"  I hung up and turned to Haru.  "Happy?"  I asked, crossing my arms across my chest.  "God I'm becoming a liar!"

  "Its quite fitting."  Haru chuckled, beginning to walk again.  "Come on, it's just up here."

  "Are you going to tell me where we're going?  Or is this part of your scheme to kidnap me?" 

  "Shut up and walk, or I'll shut you up myself."  He glanced over at me, a hint of tease in his eyes.

  I sighed and nodded, falling into step with him.  Thankfully we were almost the same height, because if he were any faster I would have had to run to catch up to him.  We walked a bit further into the grove of trees, coming upon a small open area with a playground that overlooked the city.

  "Wow!"  I gasped, looking around the area.  "Its really pretty!"  The city lights below the cliff shone like tiny diamonds, and the sky above was at the point where the day met the night, the first stars making their appearance in the horizon.

  "You said you liked the stars and astrology and all that, and this was Kyo, Yuki and my favorite place to hang out as kids.  So I thought you might like it."  He shrugged and went to go sit on the grass.  "The stars shine pretty bright up here despite the city lights."

  I stared at him, shocked.  "I- thank you!"  I exclaimed, bowing.  "You and Momiji have been nothing but generous all day!"

  He scoffed, making me look up.  "Don't be an idiot.  If we didn't enjoy your company we wouldn't have invited you.  Even if Momiji can't control himself sometimes-"  He turned to looked at me.  "We're your friends Mei.  Act like it instead of acting like a burden all the time, huh?"

  I smiled softly, wringing my fingers together.  "Yeah, friends.  Thanks Haru."  I took a few steps towards the edge of the cliff, looking out over the city.  I'd never had many friends before.  Real friends anyway.  Makato was an exception of course, but mom decided he was going to be my friend from a young age. 

  "Hey idiot, what are you doing?"  Haru asked.

  I turned around, watching as he laid down in the grass and put his hands behind his head.  "Nothing!"  I squeaked.

  "Well then, if you aren't doing anything-"  He lifted his head a bit and glanced up at me.  "Get over here and tell me about the stars why don't you?"
____________________________________________
Word Count: 1014 Words