Chapter 6: Plans

Maya walked into the Association with a tension headache. She'd spent the entire night finishing sorting files, and carefully stowing away all of her father's journals in the study upstairs that was empty. It had taken nearly four days, and a phone call to Hanabusa Aidou for a tip on how to best preserve old books. It was the first time she'd spoken to the noble in several years. He seemed to be doing just fine.

"Master!"

Her boots squeaked on the marble floor as she stopped, the title sounding in her direction. 

Hikaru came barreling at her, something long and wrapped in cloth in his grasp. He stopped just inches from her, breathless with his eyes glistening in excitement.

"Well, good morning to you to." She chuckled, ruffling his hair after pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. She gestured to the item he was clutching. "What's this?"

She hadn't seen her student for at least a couple of months. He had taken a small break to be with family outside of the city, and had been busy training with other junior hunters.

He held it up for her to take.  She took it, unwrapping the velvet to see that it was a sword, as suspected by the shape itself. unsheathing the blade, it was serrated on one side, about three feet long and sturdy. The design reminded her of Kaien's sword. 

"I finally got to choose my weapon. Yagari-sensei said it was more suited for me."

"He's right. You do have a knack for hand to hand combat."

Maya's name was called from the far side of the atrium. She glanced that way, seeing that Kaien was waving her over. "Well, duty calls. Go get some practice and I'll stop by to see your progress after my meeting, alright?"

"Okay, Master!" He declared, running back the way he'd came. 

Maya smirked, setting off in Kaien's direction.

The small meeting room was already filled with VHA members, ten including herself. For the last thirty-five minutes, the men and women in there were discussing what could be done. It seemed like there were two opinions in the room; those who were adamant on going down to at least try and clear up some of the Level E's before they got out of hand, and those who wanted nothing to do with it. A tangent discussion formed, more leading onto who was to be put to blame for the incident, and names of unassuming suspects began to be voiced, as well as personal opinions. Speculations and mild rumors were not going to help. Both her master and her adoptive father were sitting in silence, but she could feel the two of them growing angry and exasperated.

"ENOUGH!" She bellowed, a low undertone of a growl in her voice.

The arguing ceased immediately, those in the room were shocked into silence at her outburst. Maya sat forward, resting her elbows on the table, hands clutched together. 

"There will be no accusations toward anyone, until we deal with the first priority at hand" -Maya stood- "which is this. Further south, there is a large outbreak of Level E appearances, which have grown rapidly within the last few months. Intel was gathered and sent us by one of the Associations branches. That is where the trouble is, and that is where we will start. High Moon is also located in the center of the city that practically the next door neighbor to us. I can personally travel down there to speak with the High Moon's council, and see if they can help in this endeavor. Once I talk to them, I will inform Cross and the rest of you what they say. If they agree to let us help them take care of the issue, then we can send as many hunters as needed. Does anyone disagree with my thoughts?"

There was a collective mumble of eventual agreement. Plans were then laid out so that she would be departing to High Moon within the next few days, and then they would go from there. After that was done, Maya left the room and slowly made her way to the training area to check up on Hikaru as promised. 

"Maya."

Maya let Kaien catch up to her. "Yes?" 

Kaien just followed as they walked. "You did good work back there."

"Thanks. At least we'll finally be getting somewhere. I'll speak to Yuuki about possible taking a vampire down there with me. The more support we show High Moon, the faster they'll allow us to help."

They turned down another fairly empty hallway. As Maya reached the door she needed to go through, hand resting on the handle, Kaien stopped her.

"I'm sure Yagari mentioned to you that he was considering putting you in his place as Co-President."

Maya raised an eyebrow. "Yes, he did. What about it?"

"Truthfully, Yagari is the President. You would be Co-President."

"I thought you were. Are you pulling my leg?" She was astounded, thinking that her adoptive father had been lying this entire time.

Kaien smiled, chuckling. "I'm acting as the president, but I'm more just the public figurehead. It's a bit of a secret, so please, don't go telling anyone. It will come out eventually, but for right now, you're officially standing in as co-president of the Association during your trip down to High Moon."

Maya narrowed her eyes, but gave a half-smile. "Alright, you scheming vampire hunter."

After speaking with Yuuki, it was unclear who she thought was best suited to accompany Maya down to High Moon. It left Maya no choice but to go down there herself, seeing as most of Yuuki's aristocratic schoolmates were otherwise occupied with other matters. When Yuuki brought up the idea of bringing a pureblood down with her, Maya was quick to refuse knowing which pureblood she was referring to. If Yuuki wasn't isolated in her house with her child, Maya would have preferred Yuuki go instead.

Maya drove down to the coastal city by herself, a suitcase in the back, along with a case for her weapon, extra ammo. The city was more refurbished than the one she grew up in, with more upgraded current technology, larger buildings, and more people. It was late when she got there, and checked into a temporary apartment room, courtesy of High Moon. 

Throwing her belongings on the floor at the foot of her bed, she walked over to the window, taking in the night scenery, and hoped that things would be in her favor.