Chapter 9: Discovery

Maya had driven through the night back up to her home town. Her car smelled heavily of her own blood, having bled through her clothes and jacket. The fatigue from having blood loss, and the pain of the wound had nearly made her stop and rest on the side of the road. Maya wouldn't. She had to make sure that her intuition wasn't wrong. 

She pressed down firmly on the gas pedal as she took a dirt road that led up to the Tanaka estate. She slammed down on the gas once she reached the house, car sliding to a halt a few feet away from a central fountain. Getting out, she staggered to the front door and opened it. She called out the names of the five members of the pureblood family, and waited for a response.  Their scents were still occupying the house itself, but their presence...she couldn't sense it at all. Calling out again, she waited. Nothing.

Maya ran back to her car and drove straight to the Maeda residence, which was located at about five miles west of the Tanaka estate. She'd visited it only once before, to talk to Emiri's father about having a hand in co-existence. The visit had been forced upon her by Kaien, who knew she knowingly despised the family, thinking it would be beneficial for her. 

Driving up to the Maeda estate, Maya got out of her car, not even bothering to knock, and called out the names again when she threw open the door.

A smell hit her, physically repelling her backwards. She barely had time to turn away, vomiting onto the lawn. She dry heaved afterward for a solid minute before wiping her nose and mouth with her sleeve, and stood up, placing a hand over her nose and mouth as she entered, smearing the blood that was already on her face.

The house looked clean, at least from the look of the entryway. Despite not wanting to use her nose, she nearly gagged when giving a soft sniff, following the scent down a set of stairs. She was met with a long, well-lit hallway, with a double door at the end which was open. Pulling out her gun, she quickly walked down the hall.

Going through the doors into the room, her eyes snapped shut and she turned away not wanting to look anymore. But what she had seen....

Maya forced herself to look, cracking open one eye. There was blood and dust strewn about a broken coffin, which was now empty. 

"Goddamn it..." She muttered. A new numbness spread through her body as she walked further into the room. Something grabbed her ankle as she walked past, causing her to immediately kick it away and aim her gun at whoever it was. 

Emiri Maeda and her father, Kazue Maeda were lying there, heavily injured, and filthy. They both looked to be suffering, and probably extremely hungry. Despite that, they were in no shape to conjure their power, or move. They were incredibly weak. Raiden must have made sure they suffered, in his own sadistic way. He couldn't kill them, since the Maeda's had awakened him. Maya backed up to put some space between them, sitting on the edge of the opened coffin, her eyes shielded by her bangs.

"So...it was you who awoke Raiden, was it?" Maya asked, gun held loosely in one hand a she leaned her elbows on her knees. "It seems you made an error in your judgement."

Emiri's father coughed. "Shut up, mutt. We were successful, and that's all that matters."

Maya made noise in the back of her throat. "Tsk. If you label success as hundreds of innocents being killed, then you're just as twisted as the rest of them. What was your goal, exactly?"

"Kaien Cross is a wishful fool, if he believes any of this co-existence nonsense will work" -Emeri stated from her laying position on the floor- "vampires are far superior to all. We want things to go back how they used to."

"You say that, and yet you killed a family of purebloods like yourselves." Maya stated, staring at her gun as she rotated it in her hands. She watched the light reflect off the shiny black metal. 

"Hypocrite," spat Kazue, "you killed Shirabuki."

"I helped kill that woman, but I wasn't the one to pull the trigger. I did aid in the killing of the Council Members, that I cannot deny. But of course, it wasn't by choice. Despite how it may have seemed to me in the beginning, ridding the world of those who would choose to harm innocents, and corrupt the system, deserved it in the end. Things finally started to get a little better, then you bloodsuckers had to go and screw it over."

"You're a monster," he replied. 

"That may be true, and I will continue to be one. Even though I play on the side of the so called 'angels', I am not afraid to dirty my hands when it's necessary. Purebloods are selfish, and deceitful, and use others as their playthings. It's pathetic and disgusting. I've seen and experienced to much for anyone to change my mind. I've only known a few good purebloods in my lifetime, and now all of them are dead."

"You liked them, didn't you?" Emiri said.

"Of course, I'm not afraid to admit it. The Tanaka's were good to a fault, but it was my mistake for growing too soft. I never stopped hating purebloods, but even still..." -Maya finally raised her gaze to peer at the two purebloods on the floor- "...I can't have you two continue to make more trouble."

She fired one shot each, both straight through the hearts of the purebloods. After a few seconds, shiny diamond like particles began to float up from their bodies as they slowly died. 

"You're just like him, you know." Emiri stated weakly.

"Like who?"

"Kaname."

Maya let out a hmph grinning as she did. "Kaname and I are siblings after all.  Although, I do thank you, for awakening my big brother. I'll finally get a chance to take care of him once and for all."

Emiri's eyes widened in fear, but before she could reply to Maya's secret confession, her and her father exploded into millions of tiny pieces of diamonds and dust, finalizing their permanent deaths. 

Standing, Maya picked up the two shells that had dropped to the ground at her feet, and replaced the two missing bullets in the clip of her gun before walking outside to call Kaien and inform her of her discovery.