• Chapter Three • (edited)

~Monday~

After I was one of the last ones in the cafeteria helping clean up, I followed everyone else back to the auditorium for the start of service. When I walked inside the lights were out and the upbeat countdown read 2:35. Moira, Jayden, and the rest of their group was back where we sat before dinner, but they were acting like jerks. How could she not tell how annoying he was.

I searched for my youth group until I found Trisha's bright red hair in a neat bun atop her head. I huffed to where Blythe and Trisha were sitting and sat beside them.

"What happened to your new friends?" Blythe's words cut as sharp as her diamond-studded earrings.

"They're acting like jerks." I growled.

"You can hang out with us." Trisha offered, her smile bright. Blythe's expression was still sour, her mean girl stare. I saw her use that look on many girls in our youth group over time.

Whatever I did, Blythe was going to ignore me, but Trisha and I talked about anything and everything. Blythe was the one who introduced me and Riley to Trisha, but she quickly became a close member to our circle. She was quick-witted and could get along with practically everyone. She didn't have an enemy in sight.

By the time the countdown ended and worship began, my head was starting to clear. The band opened with an upbeat song by newsboys and almost the entire camp went to the front, clapping as they went.

Maybe they weren't in the wrong. A voice in my head whispered. Maybe you were.

I could feel the anger dissipating. I was at camp and Jayden did find my precious notebook.

I need to apologize.

I left our row and weaved around the people congregating and worshiping at the front. I had no idea where I was going, but something inside of me did. I moved around a boy jumping and singing with his friends and smiled. This atmosphere of praise and unity, this was camp.

Finally finding Moira in the sea of praise and worship I stood beside her and clapped along. She looked at me and smiled.
"I wondered where you were." She yelled over the music.

"I just wanted to apologize, I know I acted like a jerk. I'm sorry." I shouted.

"It's okay, don't worry about it." Moira smiled, lifting a hand.

Just like that, really? That was it? Most of my friends ignored me when I acted like a jerk.

I still needed to apologize to Jayden, but he was nowhere to be found. I looked amongst the crowd before I saw him worshipping at his seat, Jacob was beside him, slouching in a chair with his arms crossed. I guess Jayden's apology would have to wait until after worship.

~~~

"Good evening, youth camp!" The speaker for this week greeted. He looked very young, not much older than twenty-five. His black jeans were ripped and he wore a plain grey shirt. His dark leather bible flopped as he talked with his hands.

"How about that worship? Give it up for your worship team!" The camp erupted into cheers and claps as the band walked off the stage to sit with people they knew.

"I guess I should tell you a little bit about myself." He grabbed the metal pulpit and brought it off the stage, setting it on the tile with a light clang. A member of the worship team brought him a stool.

"My name is Daniel Winters. I'm twenty-six and I've been married to my wife Joanne for three years." He motioned for his wife to join him. Her long braids were piled into a messy bun on her head and the cream-colored dress she wore matched her gold earrings very well. He kissed her cheek before letting her sit back down again, the camp cheered as she made her way to her seat.