Part One

The music played loudly, followed by raucous laughter and joy. The smiles around the room don't phase me, however. All except for one...

He doesn't notice me. I would know if he did. I yearn for the touch of those crystal blue eyes. Ivar The Boneless wouldn't notice a waif like me, and I suppose he'd have no reason to. He is a king, the greatest warrior, and me?

I'm nothing.

I'm nothing but a soft woman who admires him, like many others do. Those of us who are brave enough to do so, that is. He leans closer to Hvitserk, laughing at something he says. I want to know what the joke is about, but alas, I can't make my feet move in his direction.

Gods, he's gorgeous.

My fingers itch to trace the expanse of tan skin visible above the collar of his tunic. I wonder how his calloused hands would feel against my skin.  Oh, I've heard the rumors. That Ivar can't make love to a woman. But, there are many ways to make love, and I want him so badly I'll take his mouth or his hands. I don't need his cock to make me orgasm.

He doesn't even know I exist...

The thought is sobering, sad even, but it's true. Ivar doesn't know I exist because I haven't taken the time to Introduce myself. And, honestly, why would I? Already I've seen more than a handful of women leering in his direction, although now that he's been back from York and humbled somewhat, those numbers seem to be shrinking.

I swallow the ale in my cup, wishing it were wine, and head towards the front of the great hall. It is chilly outside, something I welcome, as my cheeks flush with heat. People will think it's from the ale, but it's from the lust. The embarrassment. The fact that I am pining for such a cruel, fierce, man.

The stars are bright overhead, and I follow them towards the shoreline. It's not a short walk, but I've got nothing else to do, and since the party is in full swing behind me, there's no one around to bother me. The sound of the ocean against the shore beckons me and I practically glide towards the blackened water.

The rippling waves are brisk and short, but they would love to find their way into my shoes if I stand too close. I don't, instead choosing to stand a few feet away from the wet intruder, where my toes are safe from the chill.

I pull my fur tighter around my shoulders and listen to the sounds filtering through the air around me. It's calm right now. No wars to wage, no chores to complete, no tedious tasks to embark upon.

It's just me, the moon, and the rough sand beneath my palms. That is, until I hear the familiar clink of metal on metal and heavy footfalls behind me. I turn to see who is invading my peace, but it's too dark to make out who it is. I pause, momentarily fearful of who might have found me, until I see the very man I've been watching all night, stride towards the beach. It's obvious he doesn't know I am here, which is fine. I discreetly stand to leave, and when I do, that's when we make eye contact. And, I felt the heat of his gaze, all the way down to my toes.

"Hello," He murmurs, obviously surprised to see me on the damp sand.

"Hello."

His blue eyes trap me in their depths as they rake over my form. I stay still as if that could thwart the monster I know lurks beneath his skin. His stare is intense, and it frightens me, but I can't deny that it also thrills me.

"I was just leaving."

"Don't leave on my account. I only wanted some fresh air. Can we not share the beach? Or is the sight of me too appalling for a lady like you?"