Part Four

Ivar

I watch my brothers swing their swords, arching steel clanging together. Neither of them have noticed the smile upon my lips. It's for the better. Neither Hvitserk nor Ubbe would understand my instantaneous connection with my little witch. And, she is mine. Camila is the closest I've come to redemption in a very long time. She allows me to be my twisted, jaded, disturbing self. She encourages it.

Plus, she has no idea how much I appreciate her moral compass. She wanted so badly to look at my gnarled legs the other day, but she didn't. She refrained. That made me feel something akin to safe. She doesn't know how deeply I appreciate that small act of loyalty.

"Ivar, do you plan on wasting the entire day away?" Ubbe calls. I look at him, smirking. His eyebrows hitch and he holds his sword out as if that slab of steel alone will make me move. If I do not want to move, I will not.

"Not today, brother. I find I am enjoying the sun on my face. I would much rather enjoy the show," I say as I spread my arms wide.

Hvitserk eyes me closely and I can tell that he is beginning to understand something is changing. With me. With my attitude. It has been a long time indeed since I have enjoyed such a trivial thing.

I am avoiding the very source of my happiness.

Camila's face appears in my mind and I pause. I cannot stop thinking about her and yet I have refused to visit her. I have not seen her in three days.

My body jerks at the memory of her skin against mine. Fuck, it's been so long since anything has made me feel alive. I yearn to see her. I want her. I want her so badly I would trade a day as king to have her, and I cannot get myself past that. I want to be king of Kattegat. I want to sit on the throne as my father would want it.

In my few moments with Camila, I wanted her more than that. This fact scares me. Women have proven to be entirely too unreliable in my past, and I cannot risk another let down. Not when I'm so close to becoming king.

"Brother, you've gone pale. Is the sunshine not enough to warm you today?" Hvitserk asks with a childish grin on his face. I eye him closely, noting the red-rimmed eyes and the bleariness in his gaze. He's been partaking in some mushrooms again.

"I have many things to think about," I mutter.

"Like what?"

"A smart man never reveals his inner dialogue, Hvitserk."

His eyes narrow as he looks at me and I suddenly feel a tingle of fear prick the back of my neck. I have nothing to be afraid of, and yet, I'm terrified he will discover my little witch and our secret.

"Leave him be, Hvitserk. Bjorn would like us to meet him in the great hall. He has something to discuss with us."

I watch them leave, wondering if it was purposeful that they left me out. They do that often, but I suppose I deserve it. I am not a nice brother. I want to try harder, but I don't. There are more important things to worry about. Always more important things...

The sun is setting across the water and I watch it drift behind the mountains. The wind is chilly against my skin, but I can't leave from my spot. Something is stirring in the air and just as I move to stand, I hear him. The Seer.

He is sitting near me, three feet away. He does not look in my direction.

"Ivar The Boneless. Always pondering, always wondering."

"Why are you haunting me today?" I ask blandly.

"You have not yet accepted your gift from the Gods."