Chapter Five

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*CHAPTER FIVE❝ birthday dinners ❞*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
CHAPTER FIVE
❝ birthday dinners ❞
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

THE SUN PAINTED THE PALE WALLS of Selena's bedroom a golden hue, causing the girl to pull a pillow over her head. It was no secret that Selena loathed mornings, she would rather spend her time under the stars, wondering about the secrets of the universe only they would know the answer to.

Just as she was able to relax enough for her mind to settle, her alarm went off. If it were any other morning, she would just turn it off and crawl back under her blankets, avoiding the world for an extra few minutes of sleep, but today was not just any morning.

Dinah was definitely still asleep in her room as it was still early in the morning. She had been sleeping in more and more over the two weeks since her life had been uprooted and moved across the country, which Selena understood. Part of her wondered what it would be like if she had been in Dinah's position, but she pushed the thought away.

The smell of her mother's pancakes made its way into her room, causing the brunette to stir. Knowing the tone of the day had to be set in the next few minutes, she pushed herself out of bed, fixing her hair so it was not an unkempt mess.

She walked out of her room, careful to avoid the squeaky floorboard outside of her cousin's room before tossing it open. Selena rushed toward her cousin's bed, hopping on it with a small laugh. Although it was not part of her plan, she landed on her cousin, promptly rolling off as both girls laughed at the scene. Within seconds, Selena pulled the covers over herself so she was cuddled beside her cousin.

"Mom's making you pancakes," Selena said with a smile. "She makes the best pancakes."

"Thanks." Dinah's response was brief.

"Happy birthday!" Selena exclaimed. "You're officially seventeen  which makes you the Dancing Queen, Young and Sweet, Only Seventeen."

Dinah simply repeated her response from before. "Thanks."

"Did your friends send any birthday messages?"

"Probably—" Dinah rolled to the side and grabbed her phone. "—I haven't even opened my phone yet. Don't even think I'm going to reply to them."

Selena sighed. "Why not?"

"Honestly, they just remind me of Mystic Falls, which just reminds me of my parents," Dinah admitted with a frown. "And if I can avoid having a breakdown on my birthday, that'd be great."

"Stiles and Scott send their birthday wishes," Selena said with a hopeful smile. "So does Lydia, and even Allison, all the way from France. At least that's what Lydia said."

"Tell them thanks for me, then."

"Will do, boss." Selena saluted. "I was also thinking we could go out for a movie and ice cream tonight to celebrate. You, me, Scott, Stiles and Lydia. What do you think?"