Prima, "The Concealed Island"

Prima is a large island, at least three times the size of Isla Sorna (from the JP/JW franchise—note: this is not connected to the JP/JW series in any shape or form) located off the coast of northern British Columbia whose history dates back 295 million years ago. It once a part of Laurasian section of Pangaea, but due to tectonic shifts in the Earth's crust it was connected by a shallow sea from the mainland; it has since become a unique, independent ecosystem that has remained relatively stable for millions of years. It is run by geothermal connections (thanks to its proximity to the Ring of Fire).

The fauna there are numerous, but the most common categories are Neodinosauria, Cenozoic animals, Post-Pleistocene animals (mostly consisting of deer, bears and cougars), First Nations/Indigenous peoples and what are called "X-Fauna" (creatures whose identity are ultimately undescribed by Western zoology). There are 26 neodinosaurs, 15 Cenozoic animals, 9 post-Pleistocene species, three First Nation bands and at least 4 X-Fauna.

The majority of plants are those which have survived the Mesozoic up to the Holocene/Anthropocene epochs, but a number of them have been brought over from the North American mainland, like spruce trees. However, these are relegated to the northern, mountainous regions of Prima and so far, aside from known FN (First Nation) settlements there are no other known areas where they have occurred in the last 15, 000 years. That does not mean newly formed bands still cannot bring over new plant species to other areas, but considering that they have remained in the same places for millennia, it is unlikely they would make such a move.

Before you ask, yes there have been 8 other instances of human contact made by non-First Nation peoples. The first was made by an unknown Viking exploration, now referred to as the "Halvarson party"; remnants of a ship and armour found by a 2001 expedition found that this was dated back to 904, likely during what is now called "June" (given how the texts say everything was green and warm then back in their village). Curiously, texts found later on European in archives found written records of the party encountering "creatures that held their tails high off the ground", among other "beasts." Few of those encounters describe anything remotely pleasant! The eighth and most recent of such visitations (so far) happened on 23rd September 2010 where a stranded team of—presumably—government researchers ran into some of the more deadlier menageries of Prima. **These and more such historical expeditions/strandings will be a more explained later on in this work.

As for the geology of the island, it was formed during the mass break-up of Pangaea at the end of the Triassic period and continued to develop to the start of 14th century (with geological stability recorded, according to geological studies in the late 20th century). The island later on moved towards the Ring of Fire and thus became more volcanically active than in previous eons; signs of this can be found all over the island, but the most notable one are The Geyser-fields. This activity, along with allowing the island to be temperate even during the K/T Extinction Event and the Pleistocene Ice Age, also created some notable geographic features found in very few other places on Earth.

Most curious are the unique crystal formations found on the mountain tops; little is known about them, but biologists fortunate enough to study it have found a unique species of pollinating plant that grows from a special kind of "unknown force". This previously undiscovered type of pollination has allowed variations of plants to spread to the northerly regions of Prima (including The White-tipped Peaks and Halvarson's Graveyard) as well as quantities of other plants that one would not expect to see there. The way to distinguish these unique flora types is to watch for glowing teal-green pattern like those of the leaves.

While there are fossil remains and archaeological finds on Prima, they have been few and far between. The main reason is, for sparse fossilization, that there are not many places where consistent fossilization has both occurred and survived (due to the constant changes in the island's geography/geology). Also, there are swatches of the island where the soil is quite acidic—and as should be known, corrosiveness and calcium don't mix well at all! Yet another reason is the variety of unique carnivores on the island (mainland, beach or marine-based) that are quite efficiently adapted to tear off chunks off of prey AND have adapted the ability to quickly subduing prey before the slaughter. In many—but not all—cases, these occur in "predator trap" areas where prey and meat-eater-types get caught in (think of La Brea tar-pits, but more suited for Prima). Taken into consideration of all those elements, it is no surprise to see why fossilization doesn't occur all that often.

In spite of that, there are a few formations on the lost world island that do contain a glimpse into the isolated, evolutionary history of Prima (though only two have been found). The best known one is called "The Tomb of the Ancients", located to the south-eastern part of Prima and has a number of fossil remains depicting the island's life from 65 million years on to the present, representing a unique evolutionary/biological time scale. The other one, "The Dragon's Catacomb", has fewer fossils, but what it does show is interesting. As well, archaeological finds have been interspersed with fauna remains indicate there has been coexistence with these species for a long time. Not all of these have been so pleasant. A prime example is the so-called "Massacre Site" where fossils 1 million years old have been discovered; human remains locked in combat with Venatoraptor fossils reveal a grisly, disturbing battle where an unlucky FN (First Nation) band met their end.