1. i am not the only traveler

streaming was fun.

most of the time.

streaming was fun when your upstairs neighbor wasn't crying while writing a song about some girl that broke his heart.

i had never met him. i have never even seen his face. but every other night or so i hear him singing. it's good. it's clearly self written and a work in progress, but it's still good. i do get annoyed whenever i try to stream, but i can look past it because i can tell he's in pain. i never really thought about introducing myself to him. it kind of felt like an unspoken friendship and i didn't want to ruin it by seeing the face behind the voice.

"hey chat. just gonna do an art stream today maybe answer questions. no games." my favorite thing to stream was art. i majored in graphic design and spent my free time creating pieces, mostly commissioned, but occasionally just for fun. today was a just for fun day i suppose.

"who do we draw?" i asked looking over to see some responses.

"dream smp? so we want specific people or what?" i heard of them. i played minecraft with fundy a while back as a colab and it was fun. this was before the dream smp surfaced. he asked me if i wanted to join but i refused initially, as i had no idea who any of the other people were and was incredibly nervous. but as the weeks went on i actually enjoyed the content being put out. if he asked again perhaps i wouldn't deny his offer.

"i'll draw tommy and tubbo. they seem like really good friends." as the stream went on i continued answering questions.

the quiet beat of a guitar tuned into my ear and i verbally groaned.

"my neighbor is in his feels again. do i turn on noise suppression or let you guys listen?" i asked

several listens rolled in and so i obliged.

"because the walls don't fucking love you." it was mumbled but very clear what he said.

"feisty." i giggled before looking over at chat once more.

user1: no fucking way
user2: IS THAT WILBUR
user3: IS HER FUCKING NEIGHBOR WILBUR SOOT
user4: MISS MAAM THATS WILBUR

"that's not wilbur. there's no way." i scoffed before listening closely.

another mumbled line came out and chat continued to freak out.

"guys calm down. it's not him." i said confidently.

user2 has donated $100:
go check pussy

"holy fucking shit thank you so much for the $100..do i really need to go check now?" i asked nervously.

it flooded with yes over and over again.

"jesus okay. i'll be back." i set my headset down and stood up before leaving my apartment and walking up the stairs.

there's no way. i don't know much about him. i barely know what he looks like. what if he thinks i'm weird. oh god what am i doing.

before i knew it, i was standing in front of the door with music pouring out of. oh god what if i knock and he doesn't hear.

i knocked gingerly and pulled back as soon as the music stopped.

"coming!"

slight rummaging was heard beyond the apartment door and before i knew it, it swung inwards and there he was.

wilbur. fucking. soot.

"you aren't my uber eats." he looked slightly disappointed.

"sorry. i uh live below you and was wondering if you could keep the music down? i don't mean to be rude." i rambled before he cut me off.

"gosh i'm so sorry. did i wake you?" he looked me up and down and it suddenly hit me.

a onesie. i'm meeting wilbur soot for the first time in a onesie.

"oh..no. i'm streaming right now. just keeping it..business casual." i looked down slightly embarrassed.

"you're a streamer too? that's awesome so am i." he chuckled.

"i'm Artemis." i held out a hand.

"will. wilbur. william. whatever." he laughed and shook my hand.

"right then. it was nice meeting you." i broke the contact and went to walk away.

"what's your socials? maybe we can stream together sometime." he asked before i left.

"my twitter is artemisartist." i said as i continued towards the stairs.

"gotcha. bye artemis!" he called after me.

i made my way back into my apartment and settled back into my seat. the chat was casually just waiting for my return and as soon as i spoke they all grew excited.

"wilbur soot is my fucking neighbor."

wilbursoot followed you.

shit shit shit.

"guys he followed me on twitter what do i do?" i stared at chat intently waiting for a response.

"fuck it i'm calling fundy." i dialed my friends number and pressed the speaker button.

"the fuck you want?" he asked in a voice that wasn't as irritated as i expected.

"you know of wilbur soot?" i asked knowing the answer.

"my father. yes i know him." father? must be some lore i didn't know about.

"he's my fucking neighbor." i explained and heard laughter in response.

"good one artie." he said through his fit of laughter.

"you think i'm lying? here listen." i stood up on my chair praying it could hold my weight and let him listen to the slight sounds of singing.

"artemis you've lived there for nearly a year and just now have found out who your neighbors are? pathetic." he joked.

"i don't know anything about him. chat said it sounded like him and told me to check and i did and now he follows me on twitter and i'm panicking." i rambled on until he finally stopped me.

"i'll call him."

"no the fuck you wont." i responded instantly.

"well what do you want then?" he asked finally giving up with me.

"put in a good word for me, he's kinda cute." i joked and winked at my face cam to insinuate it was a joke to chat.

"will do Artie. now go to bed it's late." he sounded annoyed.

"time has never stopped me before dear friend. bye love." i hung up leaving him to whatever he was doing.

"guys it was a joke don't tweet that." i groaned as the clip of me asking fundy to put in a good word began to flood the chat.

the stream went on and eventually the noise upstairs stopped completely. i was kind of used to it at this point and really took it as my cue to end stream.

"this art kinda fire. i'll finish it off stream and tweet it out within the next week. i'll see you guys later!" i ended it and saved and closed my progress.

i opened twitter to find some of the dream smp lore that i was missing and eventually found a clip of fundy being dubbed as wilbur's son, via a salmon. not quite sure what that's all about but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

@artemisartist: petition to get me on the dream smp?

i laid in bed staring at the clock on my nightstand and closed my eyes once the numbers safely rested on an even 1:00 am