4. take me back to the night we met

11 am rolled around an at approximately 11:03 a knock was heard at the door. i rushed to the door, tripping over my own feet causing a commotion.

"artemis? are you okay?" wilbur's voice called out.

"uh yeah one second!" i flushed with embarrassment as i picked myself up and finally opened the door.

"what was that?" he asked looking at my disheveled self.

"what was what?" i tossed back, grabbing my purse on the stool next to the door. "ready?"

he nodded, slightly confused at my actions.

"you were late." i teased as we left the apartment building.

"well after i waited outside the building for a few minutes, it occurred to me that you probably thought i was going to come get you." shit now i'm an ass.

"oh. perhaps we both should've been more clear." i groaned internally.

"it's fine. makes me feel like a gentleman when i pick you up." he winked.

"careful, Will, you're getting cocky." i nudged him.

we continued on our conversation keeping it very business casual. he asked me about my thoughts on the dream smp so far and i expressed my love for it already.

"you said you didn't want to join our side, but it seems you're stuck with us." he chuckled.

"that's not completely true. i can still remain neutral. just more partial to your side seeing as i have no chance teaming with dream anymore." i explained.

"glad to know that you're partial."

"hush up."

we arrived at the store and made a beeline for the teas. he insisted on throughly looking at all of them while i knew exactly what i wanted.

"let's make a deal. i'll give you my favorite kind and you give me your favorite." he said with a slight twinkle in his eyes.

"well that's not fair my favorite is boring." i scoffed.

"i'm sure it's lovely." he responded.

"fine." i grabbed the brand of chai tea i liked the most and he burst into laughter.

"chai? that's so basic." he said through his fit.

"asshole. pick yours." i said as i shoved it into his arms. he carefully picked out a peppermint tea and handed it to me.

"and you called me basic." i mumbled under my breath.

the two of us walked back home in a comfortable silence. i wanted to keep hanging out with my weird upstairs neighbor, but i was afraid to ask and make things weird. if anything it was his turn to ask me seeing as i initiated today's hang out. check mate wilbur.

"so." he finally said as we neared the apartment building.

"so." i replied looking back up at him. we both had removed our face masks by now seeing as the streets weren't crowded anymore.

"what now?" he asked with a slight smile. he has a cute smile.

"up to you. have any plans for the rest of the day?" i asked hoping he would initiate something.

"just streaming later tonight. do you wanna do something before then?" bingo.

"what do you have in mind?" i smirked.

we arrived at his door and he unlocked it letting me enter first. his apartment wasn't terribly messy, it looked cluttered due to all of the vinyl records everywhere and sheet music, but it was clean. it smelled homey as well.

"make yourself at home. i'll make us some tea." he said holding up his box of chai tea. i nodded and headed into the living space.

"i'm sorry about the mess. if i knew i was having a girl over i would have prepared." he called from the kitchen.

"i don't mind. and jeez will take me to dinner first." i joked.

he didn't respond so i kept looking around the room, taking in the small details. the coffee table had a ring stain from a mug most likely, the television stand had several figurines spread out around, which i realized to be youtooz of him and some of his friends. wilbur finally came back into the living room holding two mugs. i gladly took one and he sat down next to me on the couch.

the two of us watched a movie just enjoying each other's presence. of course i had to overthink absolutely everything. the way he sat, the way he constantly would peak over at me making sure i was enjoying myself, the way his arm was spread across the top of the couch across my shoulders but not quite touching them. this wasn't a date. this was two friends hanging out. the movie finally ended and i turned to him.

"do you wanna drink tonight?" i asked.

"i don't have anything to drink." he said with a sad look.

"i'll be back in five minutes." i said grabbing my things and heading downstairs.

i looked through the cupboards and found two bottles of vodka. perfect. i let myself back into his place knowing he wouldn't mind and held up my finds.

"cmon wilby. let's see who finishes first." i said handing him one of the two.

"no fair mine is bigger." he said comparing the two.

"barely." i said comparing them.

"come play mario kart with me."

the night grew on the two of us and wilbur suddenly stood up.

"i forgot about the stream." he said surprised.

"well it's too late now. just stream tomorrow." i said only now realizing i too was going to stream.

"now i feel bad."

"yeah cause i kicked your ass in mario." i chuckled.

"i let you kick my ass." he corrected me before sitting back down.

"my hero." i slurred out.

"one more game. winner gets bragging rights." he suggested.

"you're on."

one game later and a victory dance being performed by myself, i was sat back down on the couch next to him.

"rigged." he kept saying as i laughed.

"just admit that i'm better than you." i said through my fit of laughter.

"never." he said and suddenly our arms were touching.

he was drunk.

i was well on my way to being drunk.

his eyes squinted as he stared at me with a genuine smile etched across his face. his hand was rested safely next to mine. our laughter died down and our faces were turned towards each other.

"maybe i'm drunk, but i want to kiss you right now." he said with a confidence i wasn't aware of.

"oh really?" i played it off as a joke.

his face slowly turned to a frown.

"i don't know if i want to kiss you because you're just here or because i want to kiss you." ouch.

"oh." my smile fell. way to kill the mood. i stood up carefully, only wobbling slightly.

"wait." he stood up too, grabbing onto me for support, but i shrugged him off.

"i think i should go." i finally let out, making my way to the door.

"wait artemis." he staggered after me.

"no i understand how you feel." i looked back to see he was clearly feeling uncertain about the situation. "i'm sorry"

i heard him call out my name once more but the door was closed and i was busy walking downstairs.

why am i crying?

i don't like him. why would i cry over him? maybe the insult made me so upset. maybe i wanted to kiss him too. maybe i should have.