It's Complicated

Living in fear of her powers for most of her upbringing, still had a slight effect on Elsa. From time to time, she'd still feel self-conscious about her powers. Though now, she was living a free, happy, care-free life in the Enchanted Forest while her sister Anna was the Queen of Arendale, ruling it alongside Kristoff. 

So her life was carefree, wasn't it? Well, Elsa had the tendency to sometimes overcomplicate things by obsessively worrying and not feeling confident in herself. Of course, she had felt extremely better once she learned of her destiny as the fifth spirit, yet something else was calling to her. Something in her heart. She felt her voyage of discovery wasn't quite done yet. Because her new best friend, Honeymaren, just wouldn't leave her thoughts. 

It had been only a few weeks since Elsa decided to stay at the Enchanted Forest with the Northuldra Tribe and the rest of the spirits. Bruni, the fire spirit who was in salamander form, quickly became like a little brother to Elsa, mischievous, cunning and all kinds of adorable. Yelena was a motherly figure to Elsa and the rest of the tribe and Ryder was always having some kind of adventure with his friends: both reindeer and human.

Then there was Honeymaren. Elsa and Honeymaren started getting closer but the only problem with that was that Elsa started liking her more and more. She started getting really nervous around her and she was terrified of her powers accidentally losing control around her. She never felt the way that Honeymaren made her feel and that in itself scared her. Elsa wasn't really all that sure what she was feeling and she was hesitant to talk to anyone about it. 

But Elsa didn't want to have any more secrets and so she told herself that the next time Anna comes to the Forest that she will tell her what's going on. 

It was a lovely evening and the wind known as Gale blew gently through the trees, making peaceful rustling noises. Elsa was taking deep breaths while looking out at Ahtollan, the magical river that helped bring the spirits together.

Elsa's legs were danging off the rock she was sitting on as she overlooked Ahtollan. Some trees surrounded her, reminding her that she was close to camp. That gave her comfort. Adventure could be fun but Elsa had been more than happy staying close to camp recently. She didn't feel the desire to venture any further for a while.

However, Bruni thought otherwise. He longed for adventure and was always trying to encourage Elsa to take him places with the Water Nokk. 

As Elsa was relaxing, looking out at the river, little Bruni appeared with a mischievous smirk on his face.

Elsa greeted, "Well hello there, Bruni. It's nice to see you"

Bruni jumped into Elsa's hands, "What's up, Bruni?"

Elsa knew she could tell Bruni anything, yet ecen the thought of telling the little blue salamander about her feelings gave her anxiety. She decided to stick with telling Anna first. At least Anna could give her advice. Bruni was a sweetheart but he couldn't talk...or at least not that Elsa was aware of. Elsa put the fidgeting salamander down.

Bruni balanced his weight on each side of his body, excitedly. He started panting like a dog and nudged Elsa.

Elsa let out a chuckle, her blue eyes meeting his, "Do you want to play? Is that it?"

Bruni started jumping up and down, more enthusiastically.

Elsa grabbed a nearby stick, "Okay, okay. You ready, Bruni?"

Bruni gave a little nod and wiggled his butt. Elsa threw the stick and Bruni darted after it, some smoke in his tracks. Elsa laughed, watching the little salamander search for the stick. Once he found it, he practically skidded over to Elsa and placed the stick on her lap.

"Oh, you want me to throw it again?" smirked Elsa

Bruni smiled and wagged his slimy tail

"Okay!" giggled Elsa, tossing the stick farther, more onto the shore where the sand was. Bruni flew after it. Elsa and Bruni did this a few more times until a certain someone interrupted their game, much to Bruni's dismay

"Well, what game are we playing?" asked a voice that to Elsa sounded like silk and sugar

Elsa immediately knew who that deep yet feminine voice belonged to and upon hearing it, ice shot out of both of her hands. Elsa felt deeply embarrassed that yet again she made a fool out of herself. But Honeymaren didn't seem to think so.

"Hey Elsa! Sorry, I hope I didn't scare you. Oh my gosh, I can't get over how cool your powers are. If I had ice powers like that, I would never stop blasting snow and ice everywhere" said Honeymaren, looking at the ice shards in fascination.

"Thanks, Honeymaren" said Elsa, sheepsihly

Bruni was jumping around in excitement, occasionally licking the ice that was on the ground.

Honeymaren sat besides Elsa and asked, "So, what game were you two playing?"

"Oh, we were just playing catch. I was tossing a stick for him to catch" explained Elsa, trying to keep her composure. It took almost every amount of energy that she had in her to conceal her powers when Honeymaren was around. Or else crazy things would happen. Sometimes snow would fall, ice would form, a cold icy wind would blow. So many things happened when Elsa's emotions got out of control and around Honeymaren, that was all the time.

Honeymaren offered, "Why don't you play a game with him with your ice powers? Maybe make him an ice slide or something?"

"Sure, I could try that!" said Elsa, giving Honeymaren a shy smile, yet not full eye contact

Bruni looked at Elsa expectantly as she tried to calmly conjure up her powers to make him a slide. Not anything spiky or crazy, just a normal slide.

Elsa closed her eyes, as she started moving her hands, creating what looked like a snowy ord between them.

Honeymaren admired, "That is so amazing, Elsa. Is there anything you can't do?"

Honeymaren's compliments got Elsa a little off track and her motions in creating the slide got a little off track. The orb started becoming more distorted. 

"Oh no, no, no!" stammered Elsa, trying to get it back to what she'd planned but the icy blast flew from her hands, blasting forward all the way down the hill, taking Bruni with it.

"Bruni!" yelped Elsa, fearfully

Honeymaren reassured, "It's okay, let's go find him"

The girls climbed down the hillside, to see where he went. They saw the humongous shard of ice that made Elsa wince, just looking at it.

"Bruni!" called Honeymaren

"Bruni, where are you?" called Elsa, looking around by the shore and forestside

Suddenly, the girls heard a burning, sizzling sound and looked back over at the ice shard. It was melting and from inside was a firey reptile... it was Bruni!

Elsa and Honeymaren raced over to him, "Bruni!"

Bruni was all fired up but once in Elsa's embrace, he cooled down again.

"I'm so sorry Bruni. And Honeymaren, I'm sorry too" said Elsa, feeling bad

"No, Elsa, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have suggested it" said Honeymaren

"It's not your fault. I'm still working on my powers being under control" admitted Elsa

"You don't have to keep them under control here! Bruni can handle it, we all can. You just be yourself here, Elsa" encouraged Honeymaren, her brown eyes glimmering

Elsa smiled softly at her, "Thank you, Honeymaren"

Oh how easy it would be to just not worry about controlling her powers. But she knew even here she'd have to. She couldn't have someone getting hurt again like how she accidentally hurt Anna. Bruni could take it because he was the fire spirit and could make his own heat source in seconds. But if it happened to anyone else...Elsa shook the thought away. She'd be careful. That was what she'd always done before and that was what she planned to do even now in the Enchanted Forest. It wouldn't be easy but Elsa was just grateful to be with them all and have them all appreciate her for who she is.