Caroline's wedding day

I've always been the supportive cousin. The one who loved his cousin unconditionally. Even when Silver was despising me and Caroline was too distant to care, I valued them. I cared for them. I loved them. I've always wanted siblings. Our house was deserted and sadistic for a sole kid. Then they showed up. Broken and lonely. Yearning for the love and warmth of a family. But my family was incompetent. This family was too crude to understand love. I wondered how my parents' relationship stood for that long. These people didn't know affection. They knew respect. Success. Hard work. Accomplishment. Routine. But not love. Not family. I wanted the girls to understand this. To know it's not their fault. This family is futile. Never going to be able of genuine love. It's sad how they had to live in our attic. It's sad how they had to deal with my mother every day. Sometimes I felt like mother took pleasure in their pain. Like she was enjoying herself. I wonder how her childhood was.
     The girls were strong, though. They overcame whatever odds and became women. Strong. Self-sufficient. Successful. I admire their grit. I've thought they overcame this stage of their lives unscathed. However, it came to my recognition that I was wrong. Caroline was in turmoil. Serious demolition. And I was told to keep the secret. I was told to save the day. To keep quiet.
     I am the loyal friend. And I should stay so.
                              *********************

"You're back!" I exclaimed, trying to shed the darkness away.
"Yeah," Silver replied, uninterestedly.
"You keep blossoming even more every time I see you, Carl," Jeff said, obviously trying to hide a vibe.
     Something must be wrong. Could it possibly be?! Did he tell her? My gut is all over the ground.
     Ask her? Him? I am too cowardly. But the curiosity. But this is Silver. If she knew anything, she wouldn't stay quiet and test my patience. It must be nothing. I hope so. Change the subject? It's the safest option.
"Have you met Justin?" I asked excitedly. I faked it.
      Silver's eyes met mine wide. Surprised, I believe. I knew something is wrong. Did she not like him? Now Silver's eyes met Jeff's and they are silently negotiating. It's getting tense.
"No we didn't. Did you see him today?" Silver asked, avoiding my eyes. She's trying to act casual when everything seems weird.
"No, I didn't. Why? Can't you find him?" I am starting to panic.
"No I did. I did meet him. He seems like a really decent man, just like you described him. I congratulate you for getting a man like him," blurted Jeff.
      Silver shot him a look before returning to me.
"Can't wait to meet him," silver managed.
"You will soon. Did you pass by Aunt Stacy? Or any other family member?"
     She seemed uncomfortable when she nodded.
"She pretty much did," Jeffy said, not bothering to hide his joshing smile.
     And I can't stop wondering about what happened out there.
"Okay, Sil, let's go take a walk as Caroline takes these final hours to herself. Today is going to be loaded give her some time."
     She nodded and headed to the door, followed by Jeff.
"Sil," I called, as she stopped and looked back, "are you okay?"
     It took her a moment to reply. "Yeah. Just nervous. Oh my god, you're getting married, Carl!"
"OH," I crossed the distance in two strides and hugged her, "don't be, baby. Everything will be okay. I will still be your Caroline. The same old Caroline that you will grow sick of on day," I said trying to lighten the mood.
"I know. It  just came to my notice how fast is life's pace. We were just kids. And then suddenly you're becoming someone's wife. Someone I've never met! Plus you know I would never get sick of you."
"I understand, baby. But it's not a big deal, trust me. I am still your Carly. You know that."
"Yeah."
    I squeezed her once more before we split and they started heading towards the door again. 
"Silver, I love you."
"I love you too."
     They left.
     I am back to remoteness.