< four >

And in a wisp of hot air, Tommy was gone.

-

That was a bad idea.

You see, Tommy isn't really one to plan out things before he does them, but sometimes he really, really wishes he was.

His little disapearing act had seemed like a good idea at first, but he came to regret it as he was sent flying through the air, as nothing more than a breeze.

Slightly panicked, he quickly reformed, slamming straight into a tree.

"Ouch" he huffed, sprawled on the floor, rubbing his forehead, as if he could feel the pain.

He couldn't.

With a heavy sigh (that was completely unnecessary, as ghosts didn't need to breathe) he floated to his feet, slumping his shoulders slightly in defeat. He gave up on his magic trick.

Glancing around, he soon noticed a bench, occupying a slumped over figure. Taking a closer look, he could hear the faint sound of music, a melody he recognised.

Mellohi.

His grey-blue eyes widened slightly as the song danced towards him in the air, filling him with warmth and a distinct memory, the first solid memory he had.

He was sat on the bench, grinning towards the brunette boy, who smiled back, both of them swaying to the tune, the soft breeze surrounding them and the sun just making its way across the sky, towards the horizon. He remembered a fluffy, cozy feeling, sitting there on the bench under the golden sky, with his best friend beside him.

He was so happy.

Funny, how quickly good things fall apart.

The memory fizzled away, leaving behind traces of sunlight and warmth, Tommy wiped his eyes again, despite knowing that the lava tears would never stop flowing, and stood up a bit straighter, floating towards the bench.

"I remember this"

Tubbo started, his head shooting up, blue eyes whipped around for a second before he saw the ghost, leaning on the back of the bench, a unreadable expression on his grey face.

"Y-you do?" Tubbo's voice was hoarse from crying and he sniffled quietly, looking teary-eyed at Tommy.

"Yeah" he sighed "I remember the bench-" he started, pointing towards the bench with burned hands, "I remember the song-" he jabbed his finger towards the juke box, where mellohi was still playing softly, "and I remember you." Tommy finished, finally pointing his finger at Tubbo, who looked confused but slightly less miserable.

Tubbo's eyes shined with new tears, and he hastily wiped them dry "I- I'm so sorry Tommy" and he promptly burst into tears, again.

"For what?" Tommy asked, lightly patting Tubbo on the back with a barely there hand (Tubbo could feel nothing more than a soft wisp of air repeatedly hitting his back, though it was comforting since he knew it was Tommy.)

The brunettes tears continued to pour, but he seemed determined to apologise, for what? Tommy didn't have the slightest idea, though he figured it was probably to do with the feeling of guilt he had felt earlier, relating to the choppy memory he hadn't had a chance to think about yet.

"It's- it's all my fault, Tommy!" Tubbo exclaimed, sobbing, "if I hadn't- if I hadn't exiled you, n-none of this would of hap- happened!" He choked out, shaking like a leaf.

Tommy frowned, tilting his head to the side slightly "exiled me?"

"D-don't you r-r- remember?" Tubbo sobbed, staring at the ghost with bright, teary eyes.

Tommy did remember, but the memory was hazy, as if his mind couldn't decide if it was a good one or not.

"A bit, it's fuzzy" he shrugged, glancing at Tubbo again, to see he was still staring.

"I- well I can tell you? I- if you want?" Tubbo asked, cringing at how nervous he sounded.

Tommy considered this, but because of the way Tubbo was acting, the memory was obviously bad, which made him question further as to why he couldn't remember it fully.

"I think I'd rather not know, start new, you know?" Tommy nodded to himself, solidifying his resolve to stay in the dark.

Tubbo seemed surprised at this, "Y- you sure?"

The ghost nodded again, this time directed at Tubbo, "I'm sure."

"Okay then, why don't w-we start over?" His voice was still a bit shaky from crying, but he seemed brighter now.

"Hi, I'm Tubbo"

Tommy grinned and took Tubbo's offered hand in his own feather light one.

"I'm Tommy."

They shook hands.