Chapter Four

Balancing the four boxes of cookies in one arm, Holly Green rang the doorbell of the address Charlie Calvin had given her earlier that afternoon. Charlie answered the door, glad to be away from his family members arguing in the living room.

"Holly." Charlie smiled. "It's good to see you again."

"Charlie, the feeling is mutual." Holly smiled back. "I brought your cookies."

"Thanks. It was amazing of you to deliver them. Here let me take those." Charlie helped Holly unload her arms and he reached for his wallet.

"Is everything alright in there?" She asked, hearing the sounds of the Millers and Calvins talking over each other.

"Family stuff." Charlie shrugged as he counted out the money to pay the baker. "My dad is thinking about moving because it would make my younger brother happy, but if they move, we might lose the toy factory." He didn't know why he was telling her all of this. For some reason he felt like he had to explain himself. Like he had to let Holly know his family wasn't always like this.

"That sounds rough." Holly frowned. Charlie moved to hand her the money he'd just counted out but she waved him off. "It's on the house." She told him.

"No, I can't let you do that." He disagreed. "It must have taken hours for you to make all these."

"It wouldn't feel right." Holly told him. "Your family has more important things to worry about right now. My grandfather used to have this saying, Family is the anchor in life's storms. He was certain that no matter what troubles life brought our way we could get through it as long as we had each other. He'd want you to have the cookies. Have a good night, Charlie."

Charlie didn't know what to say. He wished that he could invite Holly inside. She obviously worked very hard at the bakery and her family's legacy was very important to her. Maybe someone like Holly could make Buddy understand why their father's work was so important. Before he realized it, Holly was already halfway down the front steps. He was about to shut the front door when she stopped and face him again.

"This is going to sound weird," She confessed. "But every year on Halloween night, after the bakery is closed, we invite the staff together for a gingerbread house making contest. It's just a fun way for us to flex our skills and have some fun before the busy season starts. Uh, anyway I'm telling you this because I thought, with everything going on with your family, that you might want to take a break from it all. I remember when we thought my parent's might lose the bakery, it would have been nice to have some where to go. Just to step back for a minute you know?"

"I-ah-yeah. I know exactly what you mean." Charlie nodded. "I'll be there. What time?"

"Seven." Holly told him.

At seven o'clock Charlie found himself standing outside Holly's bakery

At seven o'clock Charlie found himself standing outside Holly's bakery. Through the shop's large front picture windows, he could see that the staff was already gathered for their gingerbread house build off. Folding tables had been set up around the shop, each seemingly designed as a station in the gingerbread house making process. There were sheets of gingerbread cooling on racks on one table and another was filled with dozens of jars of candy. Holly came out of the kitchen carrying another tray of gingerbread. When she spotted Charlie, she placed the tray down carefully and answered the door.

"Charlie!" She smiled as she opened the door for him. She looked happy to see him. "You came! C'mon in, we're about to get started." She clapped her hands loudly to get everyone's attention. "Hi Everyone! This is my friend Charlie. He's going to be joining us for the build off this year."

Holly then introduced Charlie to the bakery's small staff. He already knew Rachel from earlier but commented that it was nice to see her again. He was also introduced to the afternoon baker, Kevin, the other cashier Samantha and the two overnight Bakers Kate and Liam.

"That's just about everyone." Holly commented, looking around the room.

"Not everyone." Rachel disagreed. "You forgot about Jack Frost and his blizzard in the kitchen."

"What?" Charlie, a person who not only knew Jack Frost was real but also happened to be the current, and to his knowledge only Jack Frost, was visibly confused. Seeing this confusion but not understanding the true reason behind it, Holly rolled her eyes.

"She's talking about my younger brother. His name is Jack and he loves snow and all things winter. So we call him Jack Frost." She explained. "He's been in the kitchen making snow out of candied coconut slices for at least an hour. C'mon I'll introduce you."

"Please." Charlie nodded before following her into the kitchen.

Although three years younger than his sister, Jack Green could have been her twin. He was sporting shaggy brown hair and sharp blue eyes. Charlie and Holly watched as he ran a candied slice of coconut over a cheese grater. With each pass small flakes of coconut fluttered down into an aluminum bowl. Charlie had to admit they were nicer that some of the real snowflakes he'd made.

"Haven't you made enough snow already?" Holly sighed from the doorway. Jack looked up in surprised, but he quickly smiled back at his sister.

"You can never have enough snow, sis!" He looked down assessing the mound of coconut in his bowl. "But I suppose this will do for now. Who's you're friend?"

"Oh, this is Charlie. Charlie this is my brother..."

"Jack Frost." Jack interrupted his siter. For the second time that night Charlie wanted to remark that he was actually Jack Frost, but knew it was not the time or place for such a discussion. But Jack Green had given him an idea and a new way to help the family.

"Holly are we starting this thing or what?" Liam, one of the night bakers, was particularly competitive and was anxious to begin the competition.

"Alright everyone." Holly stepped back out into the main room of the bakery. "Now remember, the point of tonight is for everyone to get together and have fun before the busy season starts, so let's try not to take things too seriously. That being said it's also a great change for everyone to practice their decorating skills. As discussed last year I've already chosen the teams for everyone. Kate and Samantha, you'll be one team. Rachel you'll be with Liam. Which leaves Jack and Kevin. Okay, let's get to work!"