Chapter Twelve

Are you still free for dinner tonight? Charlie smiled when he received a text message from Holly later that afternoon. After assuring her that his schedule was still very much wide open, Charlie began putting together everything he would need to get his grand scheme in motion.

The sun had only been set for about an hour as Charlie strolled down the street towards the bakery. Holly was waiting for him outside. She was all bundled up in a winter coat, a knit cap, a scarf and mittens. She rubbed her shoulders anxiously and stared up the street.

"Worried I wouldn't show?" Charlie questioned from behind her.

"Not, it's just been a while since I've...been to dinner." Holly explained.

"Ah." He nodded. "Me too. I was thinking before we ate, we could take a nice walk."

"Nice? It's freezing out here, Charlie." She shivered.

"Is it?" He asked, looking up at the sky. "I hadn't noticed." He shrugged. "Luckily, I know this great bakery that makes some pretty good hot cocoa. Be right back. Charlie ordered two hot chocolates from Katie inside the bakery and returned to Holly within minutes.

"So where to on this walk of ours?" Holly held the cocoa high so that the steam warmed her face.

"I figured we could look at some lights and talk." Charlie answered. He led Holly to a neighborhood nearby where he knew almost everyone one for several blocks had decorated their lawns. "Now that the family business is no longer in danger, I'm afraid I haven't been completely honest with you."

"Are we talking you're secret a mass murder kind of honest or..." Holly bit her lip trying to hide her smile.

"No." Charlie laughed. "Nothing like that. I told you that my family business is a toy factory, what I didn't tell you is that our family business is the toy factory. My dad is Santa Claus."

"Charlie, everyone's dad is Santa Claus." Holly whispered to him.

"No, no." Charlie shook his head. "My dad is the Santa Claus. Let me try something else." He closed his eyes, clapped his hands together and then opened his eyes. Immediately large fluffy snowflakes began to fall from the sky. "Holly, I have a very important job. One that brings joy to people around the world. A job that helps preserve life and makes winter landscapes beautiful."

"Are you also Santa?" Holly raised an eyebrow at him.

"No. I'm Jack Frost." When he was sure there was enough of a flurry for low visibility around the block, Charlie dialed back only the snow in he and Holly's immediate area. With a snap of his fingers, Charlie was dressed in his pin stripped suit again.

"Yeah, I'm gonna need a longer explanation than that." Holly gasped.

"I thought you might." Charlie smiled. "I have a very exclusive reservation for us at a table in the North Pole." Charlie held out his hands for Holly to take it. When she hesitated, he retracted it. "Or we could hit up an Olive Garden."

"Are you for real right now?" Holly demanded. "Table for two at the North Pole please." Holly stuck out her hand and waited for Charlie to take it.

" Holly stuck out her hand and waited for Charlie to take it