CHAPTER SEVEN

GINNY'S POV

It's been five weeks since the night I saw Holly crying and it's the end of the school term.

I am outside on the cliff edge by the black lake. It looks so pretty and tranquil. The wind blows in my hair and I breathe in the fresh air.

'Gin!' Fred's voice carries through the wind and I sigh before turning around. There's suddenly a strong gust of wind and i am pushed back. Hard.

I stumble back and lose my footing.
I fall backwards into the lake letting out a loud, high scream which pierces the quiet sky around me.

I hit the water with such impact that I feel winded and I can't move properly. I reach my hands upwards but there is nothing to grab as the cold dark water envelopes me and I sink deeper and deeper into the water...

HOLLY'S POV

I am sitting with Pads by the tree I first met him and he is making me giggle as he performs impressive tricks. I clap and throw him treats.

He looks a lot healthier than when I first met him and every time I come now, he is always waiting to greet me, tail wagging ecstatically. I come to see him almost everyday although the others don't know about him yet, he seems a bit weary of people he doesn't know already and I don't want him to accidentally hurt one of them.

I am just trying to get him to do a handstand, when I hear a high shriek. I whip my head around in time to see a silhouetted figure fall into the lake. I drop my bag and rush to the lake with Pads hot on my heels.
'It's okay, stay boy,' I tell the eager dog nervously, 'I'm gonna go help them but you need to stay here.'

Pads has a look of alarm on his face and bites the hem of my jeans to try and stop me moving. I carefully pry him off and run to the shallows of the water before diving in.

I leave the utterly bewildered dog staring at the water in shock, he probably thinks I'm mad! But he doesn't know my secret.

In the lake, I instantly feel the sense of belonging I always do below water but I don't let myself get distracted as I kick my tail hard and zoom of in the direction of where the person fell.
I stop there and look around. Nothing. But looking down, I see a figure sinking quickly into the depths of the water. With a couple strong flicks of my tail I am by their side.

My eyes widen as I recognise the girl. She's hard not to recognise with her ginger hair and pretty face, her eyelids flicker. I wrap my arm around her waist and pull her steadily towards the surface. When I break the surface, her head lolls to the side and I can tell she's freezing and oxygen deprived.

I cup her face in my hands looking for any sign of her waking up and then I swim her carefully back to sure where Pads is waiting, a worried look on his doggy face.

I reach as shallow as I can swim with my tail, and heave myself the rest of the way into the sand along with Ginny's pale figure. Pads' eyes widen at the sight of me- I roll my eyes, 'yeah yeah I know. Wow! I'm a mermaid.'

The black dog walks slowly to my side and sniffs my tail before heading to Ginny and licking her face.
'Ugh, Pads!' I nudge the dog.

I put my hand over my tail and steam rises from it as it dry and my legs reappear and Pads looks even more shocked. I then crawl to Ginny's side and do the same to her, at least she's dry now.

Then I sing softly to her, yes I know it sounds stupid but my singing helps revive people- is some sort of reverse siren thing- and so even though she isn't dead, I think it might work on her. I bring my hand to her chest whilst continuing singing and I feel her heartbeat returning to normal and I breathe a quick sigh of relief.

I hear Ginny's name being called out nearby and so I use my powers to shoot a tendril of water from the Black lake into the air to catch their attention, before shouldering my bag and slipping back to the castle.
I wave goodbye to Pads who still looks shocked and I kiss Ginny gently on the forehead.

Back at the castle, I head to my dormitory and read, waiting there for my friends to return.

GINNY'S POV

One second I am on the cliff edge, feeling alive with the wind in my hair blowing madly about. The next minute I'm in the lake, coldness surrounding me, all alone and sinking fast.

After just under a minute I can feel my lungs start to burn from the lack of air and my eyes begin to fall closed. That's when I see her. She had a long pastel pink tail which flicks gracefully in the water and a matching bikini like top. A mermaid!

I must be hallucinating, not because mermaids don't exist ( because I know for a fact they do) but because this mermaid is beautiful- not to be rude to mermaids but they are nothing like in fairytales, they are mean and ugly and they wouldn't help me in this situation.

The mermaid swims towards me, stopping in line and I manage to see her face properly. She has bright blue eyes guarded by long black lashes and pale skin with pretty freckles dotted over her cheeks and nose. Her hair is long and dark brown and flows around her in the water- she looks surprisingly similar to Holly. That's the last thing I remember before it goes black- well except for singing. The most beautiful singing I've ever heard, by I think that must just be my delusional side speaking. Probably the lack of oxygen.