Chapter Ten

Grandma and I sat on the couch, eating spaghetti. We were watching a 'Love Gone Wrong' movie, when my phone vibrated. I ignored it. Grandma smiled and muted the TV. Right at the good part.

Something about that sudden silence felt strange. What happened to the wolves? She glanced at the window, and then at me. I stared back at her.

"You hear that Candy?" She asked.

I glanced out the window. "Yeah. It's real quiet."

"Exactly. The wolves ain't here. Hallelujah!" 

 Grandma put down her plate and hugged me excitedly. Then, she danced to no music whatsoever. I couldn't stop myself from laughing. She only stopped when her phone rang.

She grabbed it and left the room. I finished eating my spaghetti as the movie was about to end. My phone rang twice when I was in the kitchen. Brandon's number showed up on the screen. So, I answered immediately.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Candy. Are you alone?" Brandon responded.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I found Tom Woods' knife on your front porch."

"Oh, shit. I must've dropped it earlier."

My purse wasn't even open when I left the house. How was I supposed to break the curse without the knife? Someone knocked on the front door. When I opened it, no one was on the porch. But Tom's knife was sitting on the rocking chair.

 I grabbed it and went back inside. The movie was already over when I sat on the couch. I let out a breath of relief. Brandon chuckled before talking again.

"You're funny, girl."

I sucked my teeth. "Am I joke to you?"

"Come on, now. It's just a pocket knife."

"It's not 'just a knife'. It's the only thing that can break the Crimson curse."

"Oh. It's like that, huh? See you tomorrow."

He hung up before I could think of a response. This wasn't personal. I was just telling him what Tom told me. As soon as a college mystery movie came on, I unmuted the tv.

The hazing accident almost made me forget about my own problems. At least, the college girls knew what to do. I leaned back on the couch, watching the girls panic over their deadly fuck up. This was the only thing I needed to focus on. Just for tonight.