Chapter Four

Grandma and I entered the dark theater. We went up to the top row, and sat down. While we were watching the previews, someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned my head, and ended up staring that judgemental bitch in the face. 

 "We need to talk," she whispers. 

 I rolled my eyes. "I got nothing to say to you." 

 She sucked her teeth when I turned my attention back to the big screen. I ate a handful of mini M&M's, ignoring the buzzing from my black purse. The movie finally started. I smiled. 

 In the first scene, a little white girl was prancing in the forest. Grandma shook her head. I chuckled. No kid would be that happy in a dark forest. And the background music was oddly upbeat. Then, I heard a baritone laugh out of nowhere. 

 The minute I turned my head, I ended up staring at this dark skinned man. He was laughing and drinking from a silver flask. The one thing about him that had me speechless were his golden eyes. I looked back at the screen when he noticed me looking at him. 

 That girl onscreen jumped into a lake to hide from a wolf. The smile on my face disappeared. But the man had no problem laughing.

 What the hell was so funny about it? It was like he was watching a completely different movie. He finally stopped laughing when the little girl flew out of the lake. I sipped my Pepsi, trying to hide my smile.

Suddenly, the screen went black and the room was completely dark. The lights turned on, and everybody was yelling. Grandma and I left the theater. On our way out, I bumped into the flask man.

"I'm so sorry."

"It's alright. I have places to go too," he said, smirking charmingly.

He walked past us, putting his flask in the pocket of his brown leather jacket. We walked outside, and got greeted by the bright afternoon sunlight. Grandma let out a slight chuckle.

The whole drive home, it was quiet. I couldn't get that man's golden eyes out of my mind. When we got home, Grandma picked up the garage remote and opened the door. After she closed it, we rushed up the stairs into the hallway. I sighed in relief when we saw that the coast was clear. For now.