Chapter 14: Homecoming

Location: Bosporos Planum base, Martian Republic

Timestamp: 11:45am +2 Standard Martian Time

"I've got more good news," said Zerve as he came back into Amy's office.

He had gone outside to answer a call a few minutes ago.

"Josh just came back with Mark and Kelly," he said. "They're at Docking Bay 3."

Amy burst from her chair and bounded out of her office, sprinting towards the docking bay. Zerve could only watch as she disappeared around a corner and the echoes of her footsteps gradually diminished. He knew that Amy and Kelly were close and that she was the closest thing Kelly had to a parent. Perhaps it would be the right course of action to let them reunite alone.

He jogged back to his living quarters, trying to come up with a word to describe the day. No, not exceptional, although today definitely is. It doesn't truly capture the essence. Maybe incredulous, maybe momentous? Epoch-making? Great? Great. That's the perfect word. Nice and simple. Great.

He smiled as he walked down a familiar corridor. It would take quite some time to tell the entire account of the day to his wife and two daughters over breakfast the next morning.

Mark, Kelly and Josh stood together on the ramp of the Hyperion. They had given him the coordinates of the outpost which the two men who kidnapped them had been operating out of. He had contacted the Martian Republic's Forces and told them everything as soon as he could. As far as they knew, a Shudderforce team, the elite soldiers of the Martian Republic were already en route to the outpost, armed with enough armament to demolish the outpost if necessary.

Kelly could see a figure in a red dress running towards the Hyperion in the background. She didn't need to think twice, already knowing who it was. She broke into a run. They reached each other in the middle of the docking bay and hugged tightly, both sobbing.

"A lot has happened today," said Amy. "But we both need to a get a good night's rest tonight."

Kelly suddenly realised how tired she was. It was only adrenaline that was keeping her and Mark energetic for the past few hours. She followed Amy back to their living quarters with lethargic steps.

"Guess I should get back to my living quarters too," said Mark as Amy and Kelly disappeared from view.

He waved goodbye to Josh who was inspecting a damaged landing claw and walked down a dimly lit corridor. He felt a tangle of emotions. Relief, excitement, trepidation and a slight touch of affection. Something had changed between him and Kelly. Something he didn't completely understand yet. Never mind, he thought. I'll take care of it went the dust settles.