Chapter 7

Most famous of werewolf hunting tools is the silver bullet. As pure silver is a softer metal than lead, it immediately poses a problem for those wishing to fire one out of a conventional weapon.  In the days of werewolf hunters such as Jean Chastel, the Arquebus was often implemented, which was far more forgiving of the projectiles used, and required only sufficient gunpowder to launch. Another powerful tool in the hunting of werewolves is the use of wolfsbane, or aconitum flower.  These herbs are said to possess powerful wolf repelling qualities that in fact extend to both werewolves and wolves of the more “mundane” variety.

Hunter's Codex, hunter's code of conduct pg. 747

    I was still on a high after my afternoon at the bookstore with Michelle. She loved every book I recommended for her to read and I was scared her little body wouldn’t be able to contain all of the excitement she had built up. I could feel it pouring over through our bond affecting me slightly as well. 
    I walked through the little gated community we had away from the humans. We weren’t a very large pack, but large enough to have a small complex that the humans thought was a private village. They weren’t far from the truth. The community hall was just up ahead. That was the building that housed all of our offices for ranked members of the pack, as well as a large cafetorium for gatherings.
    I had to walk past my parents’ house before coming to the stairway leading up into the entryway of the hall. We lived close by in case of emergencies and the Alpha actually lived on the top floor of the community hall with his family. The rest of the pack lived in their own homes spread out through our town we had set up for ourselves throughout the generations. 
    Still lost in thought I barely noticed the buzz running through the hall as I made my way up the stairs to the office floor. I felt a nudge on my mind conveying anger and worry. It was from Caden, the alpha’s son. Something had happened and it must have been serious. I nudged back, showing I received his thoughts. 
    I barely made it to the beta office before Caden came out of his father’s room. He saw me and came straight in my direction. The look he held was unreadable and if it hadn’t been for his nudge earlier I would have thought nothing was wrong. 
    He came up close so we could talk quietly without interference, “Will, where have you been?” 
    “I was in town, just getting some fresh air.” I strained against my need to submit every detail to my future alpha. Caden could tell I was holding back information, I wouldn’t be able to hide this from him for long. 
    “Hm.” His answer was short and he gave me a knowing look. He let out a breath as discomfort began to roll off of him. “A wolf was attacked earlier while you were gone.” A flash of anger crossed his features. “We thought it was you from a distance.”
    My heart began to race, did my father not hide the lone wolf well enough? I couldn’t have them finding out about Michelle until I was ready. I tried to feign confusion, “Why would you think it was me? Is the wolf okay?” It would make sense that they may think the dead wolf was me. My scent would have been all over him after the fight. 
    His worry and discomfort from earlier began to bleed through our link even stronger than before. He quietly whispered out the words that made my heart stop. “It was your cousin, Jace. As you know his wolf looks practically identical to yours. Both of your scents are similar too.” He saw my mouth open and held his hand up before my flood of questions could come out. “He didn’t make it.” 
    I went numb. It has been a long time since we lost one of our pack, let alone one of high rank with beta blood and as relieved as I felt over it not being the wolf I killed, I could still feel my heart stop as Jace’s face crossed my mind. He was my father’s sister’s son and all of the men in our family had the same dark hair and green eyes. We grew up together and had a pretty good friendship. I would have trusted him with my life and vice versa. 
    “Who did it?” I couldn’t think straight. I should be feeling something, anger, grief, but all I felt was a sense of disbelief. Surely when I went running this week Jace would be there waiting along with the other guys our age.  
    Caden held back his emotions from our pack link but he didn’t pull back quick enough. I felt the fear that creeped in, as his face went straight and undescernable again. “We think it was hunters.” His voice was a hushed whisper. 
    “Not possible. Hunters have been quiet for over a couple decades now.” 
    “Well whatever killed Jace wasn’t an animal. It used weapons. Weapons that are used by hunters, silver, wolfsbane, that kind of thing.” His face was stern. He was sure it was hunters and normally his gut instinct was right. 
    “What are we gonna do then?” 
    He sighed and covered his mouth looking off into the distance. “I don’t know.” His words were muffled from his hand but he didn’t seem to notice. He still looked lost in thought. “It’s been so long that the younger generation isn’t prepared enough to handle hunters. They’re ruthless, Will. I’m glad you didn’t see what they did to Jace’s body.”
    I felt my gut twist in disgust over just envisioning the images I saw growing up from our records. Even some of the strongest alpha’s had their work cut out for them when faced with a group of well trained hunters. To think Jace had to go through that caused rage to boil deep inside for revenge. 
    Caden’s brows deepened over his eyes as his brain worked through the problem. He could be considered a genius in the human world. His ability to see through a problem and find a solution was exceptional, even compared to other alphas. His father has always expressed his pride over what Caden would be able to accomplish for the pack when he stepped into position. 
   “What are you thinking?” He flicked his eyes towards me at my comment, pulling him out of his thoughts.
    “I’m thinking that it’s strange for them to attack now. After all these years, what is the reason they’ve come back out?”    
    I didn’t have a chance to process his question before Alpha Andrew stepped into the hallway from his office. His expression softened when he saw me. “I’m sorry for your loss Will. Jace was a good man.” 
    My dad stepped out behind the alpha, his eyes rimmed red. We locked eyes and I could see his swell with tears again. “Will.” I was in his arms being embraced tightly. He didn’t say anything more though, he didn’t have to. I hugged my father back, holding him fast. 
    When he finally pulled away Caden and Alpha Andrew were gone, having slipped off to give us some privacy I assume. 
    “I thought you were gone, son.” Dad had his hands placed on my shoulders, not ready to let go completely just yet. 
    I had no response. His distraught appearance threw me for a moment.
“I don’t know how we’re going to tell Stacy. That boy was her heart.” Weariness washed off of him and was causing me to be tired just to be near him. Today must have given him a run for his money. He finally dropped his hands only to slump against the wall, thinking about his sister. 
    Aunt Stacy became overly clingy towards Jace after his father had died. We were young boys when it happened and I have only a few hazy memories of my uncle. Losing Jace is going to tear her apart. “We can do it together dad.”
    He glanced sideways at me before relaxing. “No, it’s okay. I should do it so she can have some privacy to mourn. She’ll want as few people there as possible, trust me.” 
    I gave a short nod as he made his way to head to Aunt Stacy’s house. I couldn’t help but notice just how old he was getting. He wasn’t a small man by any means, but as he walked by, he almost seemed frail. His age was beginning to catch up with him and it was getting close to time for me to take over. 
    I made my way behind dad, heading back to our house. I felt drained of all the energy I had after my day with Michelle. I needed a moment to myself and think about what Caden had said. As I walked the stairs of our porch, turning the door knob, I heard my mom shuffling around on the other side. She was waiting in the middle of the living room, watching as I came in and shut the door behind me.
   “I assume you’ve heard.” It was a statement, she already knew the answer so I didn’t respond. She came in and gingerly wrapped her arms around me. “I know you and Jace were close, how are you holding up?” 
   Strangely well, just wore out but I wasn’t going to tell her that. “I’ll feel better after a while. It’s just hard to think that he’s gone.” 

*******

            I was in my room looking through my documents over hunters. It had been a few hours since I came home.
   There was nothing of use in the files I had found on my laptop. Since the hunters had been inactive for so long, there wasn’t any information on possible suspects. Most of the hunters from my father’s time had retired, died during the last big war between us and them, or disappeared to Lord knows where. There was also no motive behind why they had attacked Jace. In all of the notes I read about them they only attacked lone wolves or wolves who posed a threat to society. Essentially culling the rotten apples while the rest of us were just tolerated. 
I sat back in my chair and closed my eyes. They were sore and I was beginning to stress over all the unanswered questions I had. What happened to Michelle after our coffee date and why did the hunters attack? I was rubbing my eyes when I heard a knock at my door. “Come in.” 
    I didn’t have to open my eyes to know it was Caden. His scent was a strong one, it brought up thoughts of pinewood and cedar. 
    His footsteps were quiet on the carpeted floor followed by the rustling of my bed sheets as he laid across them. “So. How are you?” His voice was hesitant and slow as strained each word out. 
    “Huh, let me know when you find out for me.” 
    He released a breath he had been holding in, causing me to finally open my eyes again and turn to look at him.
“Dude, somethings up with you. You can’t hide things from me.” Caden sat up in my bed propping himself on his elbows.
    “How about my cousin just died, will that suffice?” 
    He gave me a deadly glare, “No. You know that’s not what I mean. You’ve been gone most days without telling anyone where you are. You come back smelling off, especially today, and to top it off, I can tell you're holding something back. Don’t lie to your future alpha, Will, that’s not a good way to start off our pack.” 
   I looked down and rubbed at my eyes again. They were beginning to burn from lack of proper sleep.
    “You haven’t been sleeping and we can all tell. You're not fooling anyone.” When I gaze up at him his face is softer, bearing a weak smile. 
     He wasn’t wrong. I spent my nights staring at the back of Michelle’s apartment. I couldn’t sleep unless I was near her, I’ve tried. I toss and turn all night, never able to actually settle down when I’m so far away from her. 
    “Will. Tell me. Now.” His voice is commanding, no longer asking. 
I lean forward with my head in my hands and a shiver runs through me as I fight the urge to tell him.
    “Will you look ridiculous right now, just tell me what’s going on so I can help you.” 
    “You can’t tell anyone, Caden. Not even your father.” I feel myself give in. There’s not much you can do when your alpha is demanding you. Caden normally didn’t use that on me since we were so close. I guess he decided this was a good time to put his foot down.
    “Don’t worry. I just want to help you, as your friend, not your alpha.” His voice is gentle again easing some of my worries.
    “I found my Soulmate. She’s human.”