Chapter 10

One notable werewolf in history is Peter Stubbe. He posed as a farmer outside of the German town of Bedburg in 1589. After multiple people were killed rumors of a wolf-like creature began to circulate. Described as “Strong and mighty, with eyes great and large, which in the night sparkled like unto brands of fire, a mouth great and wide, with most sharp and cruel teeth, a huge body and mighty paws.” Hunters were called in and a group successfully tracked and encircled the creature only to find Stubbe in its place. He was executed on October 31, 1589. At this time Hunters were not aware of more efficient ways to dispose of a werewolf. He was lashed to a wheel, flesh torn off with heated pincers, all limbs broken and he was decapitated. Only for his body, mate, and child to finally be burned. 

Hunter's Codex, Introduction to werewolf pg. 26

    “Nobody likes pepper jack cheese on their sandwich. That’s a hoax created by the dairy industry.” Chris had the pack of cheese held just out of my reach, sandwich paraphernalia scattered across the counter. 
    I gasped and stared at him in horror. “I can’t believe the sacrilege that you just spoke.” 
    “I only speak the truth.” He responded while reaching for the cheddar. 
    In the midst of his distraction I was able to snatch the pepper jack out of his hands. “I don’t understand how anyone could not like pepper jack. Where I’m from, if it doesn’t have heat and flavor, it isn’t worth your time.” I threw a slice of pepper jack on one of the turkey sandwiches to drive home my point. 
    “Ew.” Was all he said as he placed cheddar on the last 3 of the 4 sandwiches. 
    We were prepping our food and getting it all in the picnic basket that Chris had brought back with him after his errand for a ‘friend’. He still never did tell me what it was all about.
    After some time we finally had all of the food prepped and packed into the basket. 
    “Are you ready to go on our date?” Chris asked, looking over his shoulder at me as he carried the basket towards the front door. 
    I smiled and said, “As ready as I’ll ever be.” 
    We climbed into his vehicle and set off for the city park, it was large and the perfect spot for a picnic. We pulled up and Chris parked the vehicle as we stared out at the few people who made their way to the park today. 
    “Isn’t too busy” I said, opening my door and feeling the warm sun on my skin. Today was one of those rare fall weather days they have in the north. Even though the air was cold, the sun was warm against my skin. 
    “That looks like a good spot to me.” Chris pointed at a nice patch of grass away from the few people walking down the sidewalk. 
    “I agree.” 
    He took my hand, holding the basket in his other hand and we walked onto the grass and started to set up our little picnic. Throwing the blanket out and getting it straight, pulling the food out of the basket and getting ready to eat. 
    Chris pulled out a knife and cut a few slices of summer sausage. He pulled me close and handed me a slice on top of a ritz cracker. “I still can’t believe you like to eat it with those.”
    “I like how they make it sweet.” I said, looking up at him and popping the entire thing in my mouth.
    He placed his slice on top of a saltine and took a bite. “It’s sausage, it’s not supposed to be sweet.” 
    We eat in silence, just enjoying each other's company and people watching. It was nice. 
    After sometime we found ourselves laid back and watching the sky, my head tucked against his shoulder. I thought back to the conversation I had with mom and before I could stop myself I blurted out, “What are we?”
    “What?” I could feel him chuckle a little. “Human I hope” 
    I sit up and laugh at him, “No, weirdo. I meant like us. Me and you.” 
    He propped himself up on his elbows and looked at me. “What do you want us to be?”
    “I don’t know.” I decided to be honest.
    He laid back down and let out a slow breath. “Apparently this wasn’t going as well as I thought it was if you don’t know.” 
    “I think it’s going pretty great. So far the best date I’ve ever been on.” I think back to the one time I went on a ‘date’. He thought making out was good enough. 
    “But you still don’t know.” 
    “Do you know?” 
    He must have been thinking because he didn’t answer for a moment. “I think….I really care for you. I want to be with you and care for you. Be whatever you need me to be.”
    “There’s a but.” I could hear it in his voice as he spoke.
    “I don’t know if I can.” He sits up and leans into me, both of us still watching people go by. “I have a lot going on right now and I don’t want to screw up. I like you, like a lot, and you're smokin’ hot.” He laughs a bit and I jab him gently with my elbow. 
    We sat quietly for a moment while he gathered his thoughts more. “I want to be your boyfriend. I just don’t want you to grow to hate me because I can’t give you everything you need right now.” 
    I played with his hand that rested on my knee before getting up the courage to answer him. “I like you too, but I don’t know if I’m ready for something serious yet either. So maybe we should take this slow. Step back for a while until we know we’re ready.”
    I felt his head lay on my shoulder as he let out a sigh. “This sucks.” 
    “Yeah.” 
    We sat there for a while longer before packing up and leaving. Neither of us really ready.
    On the drive home Chris didn’t hold my hand and we didn’t speak much either. We were about to pull into the drive of the apartment when he said, “I’m sorry if I’m being selfish, but I still want you to stay away from that coffee shop guy.” 
    I glance over at him. “I don’t even really know who he is.” 
    Chris chewed at his lip. “I want you to be safe, and just take me at my word. Guys know other guys and I don’t think you would be safe with him.”
    I thought for a moment. If I ran into Will again, after seeing him at the library, I know for a fact I wouldn’t be able to stay away. “I will on one condition.”
    Chris put the car in park and looked at me, his brows furrowed. “What’s that?”
    “What was the urgent errand for your friend yesterday?” 
    He rubs his face and looks out of his car window. “I can’t tell you that.” 
    “Why?”
    “Because it’s not something you should know.” 
    I nod to myself, getting out of the car and walking to the porch. The car door slams behind me as Chris gets out of his vehicle.
    “Michelle, wait.” 
    I turn and look at him standing there with his hands behind his head. I truly believe I could have one day fallen in love with him, if I hadn’t already that is. However, him not being able to tell me something is a major red flag in my book. “I assume this is one of those things you were talking about when you said you didn’t want me to hate you?”
    “Yeah, this is one.” 
    I give him a small smile, “Okay. I promise to be careful from now on about who I am around, but I will have coffee with whoever I feel like having coffee with. Thank you Chris for the date. It really was wonderful.”
    “Michelle.” 
    “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” I turn and wave as I walk through the front door. I was ready to get the day over with and go to bed.