The Prologue

Kiku never wanted to leave his hometown. He loved the crisp mountain air. He enjoyed the silence of nature. He adored his mother's garden. But his step-father did not feel the same.

Moving to a new country was the last thing that Kiku expected. He knew his small family was going somewhere crowded like Osaka, or Kyoto. But he didn't know that his parents had set New York as an option.

Neither him nor his mother knew a lick of English. Misaki Honda had been taught the language in high school, and Kiku started lessons in his third school year, but it never stuck. However, Haruto Honda was fluent. He felt as if moving his family to America would lead to a brighter future for his step-son.

Kiku could not disagree more.

Why did they have to move? Everything was going just fine in Japan. His grades, his friendships, his everything. America was different. Different school year, different friends, different language... the list goes on and on.

How much of this could Kiku endure? He's still a kid after all... only fifteen. Sixteen in February, but that's still a while from now.

Although life seems to become easier for Kiku as time passes. The Honda family moved to Queens, New York in late March, right after Kiku finished his ninth year at school. The family was quick when becoming acquainted with neighbors. There was a kind Chinese lady who lived down the block with her four children. Her eldest, Yao Wang, had taken a liking to Kiku. Each day, he would set aside some time to help Kiku out with learning English and adjusting to his new atmosphere.

After a whole summer with Yao's guidance, Kiku was ready for what the Americans call, his "sophomore year" at high school.

The first month started out fine. Kiku was usually never called on in class and was frequently checked up on by Yao. He was a senior and practically knew everything you needed to know about surviving this school. Though Yao's constant babysitting became stressful for Kiku, he was still thankful for it. After a couple weeks, Kiku was finally able to make a friend his own age. Some Greek kid, named Heracles. Pretty quiet and had trouble staying awake in class. He and Kiku only really talked in school.

It seemed as if this sophomore year was going to treat Kiku just fine. That was until only a month in...

It was Halloween night. A day where children young and old would go out knocking on random people's doorsteps receiving an odd mixture between candy and crack-cocaine. However, Kiku Honda was celebrating this joyous night by sitting at the kitchen table eating reheated fried seafood with his mother.

"Kiku, what do you mean you don't wanna go on this field trip?" Misaki Honda asked, frowning at her son.

Kiku sighed. He hated seeing his mother upset. "I'm sorry Ma. It's just, I'm still new to this school and I barely know anyone there and it's an overnight trip. It will be awkward for me to sleep in the same room as strangers." he explained.

Misaki shook her head. "Well, then you should go. This will be an opportunity for you to make new friends. Your whole age group is going. You should too. Please Kiku?" she begged.

The teen sighed once again. His mother was right. "Hai, Ma. I will go."

Misaki cheered and signed the permission slip, trying her best not to get the grease from her dinner onto it.

Kiku frowned as he watched his mother sign the small slip. The field trip was to Montauk point. The eastern tip of the southern fork of Long Island. It was for tenth graders only. It would be an overnight trip, and they were to sleep over at the lighthouse museum. The school had other plans for them as well. They were to be partnered off and given scavenger hunts to complete. This part worried Kiku the most. Who would he be partnered off with? Will they be kind? Will they be a serial killer? Who knows!?

Guess that time will just have to speak for itself...

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.