three

The first time she ever met the Doctor was at her mother's wedding.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

They had all rushed down to the reception of the building, the Doctor holding his arms out in annoyance.

"Oh, no, no, no, no. It was there. It was right there. Wait, wait, wait." His held-out arms moved to back the quartet of people away from the space. And that noise, oh that wheezy noise started to echo throughout the room.

Jane couldn't help but smile, "I knew I heard it before!" The Doctor glanced at her and spared her smile for a split second, before focusing his gaze on the blue box that was attempting to materialise before them.

"That was me, trying to break through. Got knocked back by the Trickster."

K9 had finally managed to make it downstairs, "Temporal schism is preventing Tardis materialisation."

"Wait a minute. That's the Tardis? It's just a wooden box." Clyde pointed at the box, scoffing slightly. It appeared that he was rather unimpressed with the supposed time travelling machine.

The Doctor ignored the comment, teeth clenched together as the Tardis continued to try to materialise. "Come on, you can do it. More power. Come on!" And it disappeared. "Okay, got no Tardis. It can't materialise here until time moves forward." Hands back in his pockets, he turned back around to the four who were standing there.

"What, so we're trapped here, wherever this is?" Rani was always so negative, and that negativity was certainly getting on Jane's nerves at this point.

"No. Because what have I got? I've got K9." 

"Affirmative." K9's eyes flashed as he spoke, his tail wagging lightly as he looked up at his master.

"And I've got you three. And any friend of Sarah Jane Smith is a friend of mine." His hand moved to place on Jane's shoulder who had been standing just to the side of the group. "And I've got Janey, you're smarter than you give yourself credit for."

"I'm no, Luke." She chuckled slightly, sparing a glance at her genius adopted brother.

"But where is this? What's happened to the rest of the world?" Clyde interjected, ruining whatever moment the pair had been having.

"We're in a time loop," Jane spoke, she had realised this a little while ago - and K9 backed up her point with his diagnoses. 

"Our present location nowhere, no when."

"No when? Time's stopped?" Luke asked, turning towards his sister. Her shoulders raised up into a shrug, raising a hand and gesturing towards the clock that was on the wall.

"No. Not stopped, just looping." Everyone else had turned to look at the clock on the wall, and what Jane couldn't see from behind her was the grin on the Doctor's face. He was bringing out the best in her.

"What? You're joking." Clyde scoffed, though he couldn't deny the evidence that was in front of him. The second hand of the clock was moving back and forth between the two seconds, over and over again. Clyde had looked down at his watch and it was the same thing - as well as the TV repeating the same second repeatedly.

"Nope. We're in a loop. Twenty-three seconds and twenty-three minutes past three o'clock." The young woman shrugged, a hand moving to place against her shoulder.

"And we're caught inside it. In this one second." The Doctor spoke, looking down at his friend's daughter. Oh, she was clever.

"But again, where is Sarah Jane?"