seven

The second time she met the Doctor was at his funeral.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

The pair of Smiths were sitting at the desk in the attic, the main light source emitting from the computer screen. Jane's brother was on the monitor, chatting from his university room. Her mum had been ranting on all day about the Doctor; whereas Jane could hardly contemplate it.

What if she was wrong? And the Doctor was actually dead.

"I always thought if ever the Doctor dies, I'll know. Somehow I'll just feel it. Wherever he is, if he's far away on some distant star or lost in the depths of the dark ages, I'll know. But I didn't. I didn't feel a thing." Sarah Jane's fingers were laced together, resting in her lap as she sat in the desk chair. Her head turned to face her son on the computer screen, spinning the chair so that she was facing him.

"I know, mum, but it doesn't actually mean anything." Luke had been trying to talk some sense into his mother but to no avail.

"No, maybe it does, though. Cos I don't think he's dead. He can't be. I'm going to go to that funeral, Luke, but only to find out what's going on. Because I think the Doctor's still alive." Arms now crossed, the older woman leaned forward onto the desk as she spoke to Luke.

"I don't think he's dead either." The young woman interjected from her place on the stool, sending her brother a smile. "I just... know."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

The day had arrived, and both women had been nervously packing their bags. Sarah Jane had been a little out of sorts, more so than usual, and Jane hadn't been herself either. Both had been waiting, nervous to see what in fact had been waiting to happen.

A black limousine pulled up to 13 Bannerman Road, stopping outside the large house. Her mother walked out first, while the girl had held back a little. Something just felt wrong. A soldier with a red beret on his head walked around and opened all the doors of the car.

"Bang on time. Don't worry, Haresh, I'll look after them." Sarah Jane spoke as she walked towards the boot of the car, addressing her neighbour from across the road. Eventually, Jane too walked around the corner - she was dressed in a blue jumper, with a light blue blouse underneath and a smart pair of beige trousers. She always took pride in looking presentable.

"Sorry to hear about your bad news." The head teacher spoke, looking rather sorrowfully at the older woman. He opened the boot, putting all the bags inside before kissing his daughter goodbye on her cheek.

"There's no need. I'm fine."

Rani got into the vehicle, while Clyde leaned against the smart, black car. Jane chuckled from the pavement, a brow raised as she watched her friend. "Keep the school running without me, sir. While I head off in my nice, big, posh motor." Clyde ran his hand over the car, pulling his hand when a shock of blue electricity appeared.

"Ow. Did you see that?" The young woman's brows would have raised further if they could.

"Static electricity. If you paid more attention in class," Haresh replied, shaking his head at the boy while he stood outside his home so he could wave goodbye to his daughter and her friends.

It definitely didn't look like any normal electricity, she'd only ever seen that kind once before.

"Come on, you two, get in." Her mother called from the car, and Jane smiled before getting into the limousine. Clyde got into the car on the opposite side, and soon they were off to a funeral.