Chapter 3: Quidditch and Diagon Alley

August came upon them quicker than ever before. Their Hogwarts letters came bright and early on the fifteenth, just as they were getting ready to go to the quidditch. Puddlemere United were playing the Tutshill Tornados, and none of them were prepared to miss it. They'd been looking forward to it for months, ever since James had bought the tickets in advance as a Marauders Christmas present.

Included in the letters were their Ordinary Wizarding Level results; the second most dreaded set of results in a young witch or wizard's school career. They had all passed their OWLs with flying colours, and could take whatever classes they wanted to meet their long-term career goals - in other words being aurors.

Remus was taking Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, Astronomy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Alchemy, Ancient Studies, Transfiguration and Potions.

Peter was taking Charms, Arithmancy, Astronomy, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Transfiguration and Herbology.

James had signed up for Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Divination, Charms, Herbology, Potions, Transfiguration and Muggle Studies.

Sirius was taking exactly the same classes as James, except for taking Ancient Runes instead of Astronomy, and Rose was signed on for Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Divination, Herbology, History of Magic, Magical Theory, Potions and Transfiguration.

At the allotted time, James stood impatiently in the Potter Manor entranceway, foot tapping in irritation. "I am not in the mood to wait for you lot!"

"Honestly, Prongsie," Sirius called, his voice sing-song and teasing. "We've been ready for hours." He demonstrated his point by striding into the entranceway from the grounds.

Rose laughed at his dramatic flair (saying something considering he was wearing worn jeans, a Puddlemere t-shirt and a stonewashed denim jacket), Remus rolling his eyes rather pointedly at her. Sirius half-turned back to them and winked, James groaning loud enough to be heard back in the Forbidden Forest. He muttered something to Sirius that Rose couldn't hear, both of them striding forward to the portkey, Sirius shoving Peter out of the way.

Rousing calls of 'GO PUDDLEMERE' and 'YOU SUCK TUTSHILL' rang from the Marauders' stand, Remus glaring every now and then during the more offensive and creative slights against his team. Remus was, naturally, bold enough to wear Tutshill colours deep in Puddlemere territory, which wasn't doing him any favours with the fans.

Sirius had given up pretending that he didn't know the embarrassments that he'd brought with him (Peter being decked out in bright Chudley orange), and was cheering along with the rowdy Puddlemere crowd. James, being the captain and lead chaser for the Gryffindor quidditch team, was making notes in a small brown notebook, eyes eagerly scanning the skies for inventive new plays - and sneaky new fouls to implement against the cheating Slytherin team.

A particularly nasty foul went overlooked by the referee (a weedy looking bloke with strawberry blonde hair and thick glasses), the Puddlemere fans - Rose included - rightly outraged. "OI, REF!" Sirius yelled, standing on his seat. "OPEN YOUR OTHER EYE, YOU MANKY GIT! THAT WAS A FOUL! A FOUL! THAT MEANS YOU PENALISE THE CHEATING BASTARDS! COMPRENDE? NEXT TIME, ME AND MY MATES WILL REACQUAITE YOU WITH THE RULES, VIA SHOVING YOUR BROOM SO FAR UP YOUR ARSE, YOU'LL BE BRUSHING YOUR TEETH WITH IT!" His magically enhanced voice boomed around the stadium, to rousing applause from the Puddlemere fans.

James gave him a minute and then tugged him back into his seat, sending an apologetic wave at the ref. Rose watched while poor Remus slid down into his seat with mortification.

"Godric and Merlin," Remus muttered hysterically, face bright red. He had a very high sense of what was allowed to people in authority, Sirius naturally bulldozing right over the line. "We're going to be in the papers."