Chapter 10: Happy Belated Birthday

Laughter and playful bickering greeted Rose when she rejoined the land of the living. The pain had dulled to a near constant ache, something she could push to the background. She pushed herself into a semi-upright position, leaning heavily against the pillows. The chill in the Hospital Wing was taken off by her dark purple pyjamas and light blue jumper, and Rose felt more refreshed after her sleep.

She was certainly more aware of her surroundings this time around.

Stacks of letters and cards were placed on her bedside cabinet, balanced precariously among potion vials and a water pitcher. At the end of her bed was what appeared to be the entirety of the Hogwarts Express lunch trolley twice over.

Lily was in the bed to her right, with her own collection of sweets, and was busy penning a letter, but to who Rose couldn't tell. Remus was to her left, a copy of the Daily Prophet open on his lap, quill raised to complete the crossword (a Marauder tradition). Peter was in the bed opposite Lily and seemed to be hurrying to complete some homework. James was opposite Remus, his hair messier than ever as he seemed to be drawing up battle plans. Finally, Sirius was opposite Rose, an unlit cigarette hanging from his lips, a muggle motorcycle magazine open in front of him.

"Mugwump, three down," Sirius drawled, Remus groaning to himself. "Morning, Rosebud. Hungry?" His casual nonchalance brought back memories of every time they'd ended up where they were after a prank gone wrong.

She let out a laugh, grinning brightly at him. She pointed at the arrangement of colourful sweet boxes at the end of her bed. "Who bought out Honeydukes?"

"Pads spread the word," James smirked, like the Marauder he was. "Bertie Botts, Chocoballs, Sugar Quills, and Chocolate Frogs. And if you find King Arthur, that's mine."

"Piss off, Prongs," Remus said politely. "I've got dibs on that one."

"How long have we been in here?" Rose asked Sirius, the disowned Black circling a motorcycle decisively.

"Ten days," he sighed, looking out the window wistfully. "I think on day three Dumbles came. We had a bit of a chat."

"He said that help would always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it," James stated in awe. "He's utterly cracked, but brilliant."

"But what did he say about punishment?" Lily demanded, glaring at the hazel eyed Marauder. "They wouldn't say until you woke up."

"He said that we were incredibly foolish, but showed outstanding loyalty, courage, and determination," James continued as if Lily hadn't spoken. "Our love for each other and refusal to leave anyone to those bastards, apparently impressed him or something. We're suspended for a week in absentia, gained a hundred house points for our duelling talent, and as far as the school is aware, we were in Hogsmeade with permission."

"In other words, fighting Death Eaters and watching someone you care about being tortured, and living with the guilt is punishment enough," Sirius said bitterly, lighting the cigarette with a snap of his fingers.

"Sirius Orion Black, that was not your fault," Rose snapped, refusing even for a second to let him think that. "Your cousin is a deranged harpy who belongs in Azkaban for the rest of her unnatural life. That is not on you."

Sirius smiled sadly, but didn't look at though he believed her. James shook his head, expression apologetic; Sirius was stubborn beyond the point of bloodymindedness, and Rose didn't need James to tell her that.

"How long are we going to be in here?"

"We get released the day of the Christmas holidays," James grinned, rubbing his hands in excitement. "That's a little over a month from now."