chapter【16】

I would like to preface this by saying this is not how power works. In reality, the power would come from a giant power plant, but that's for another time. So if you're thinking this illogical, you're damn right. Please bear with me, as this is for entertainment purposes.

To say you were in pain was an understatement. Your back was still healing from yesterday's events, and yet here you were out on the streets again, walking quietly as head of the pack. Your bat was clutched in your palm and your bag was slung over your bandaging, but resting could wait, the farm couldn't.

There was some exciting news with your weapon of choice, which now had a knife blade jammed in at the end for long-distance stabbing, and a few more nails speckled around the barbed wire. It was pretty sexy. But the coolest part was that the blade could be wedged in and out of the slit it was jammed in in case the melee upgrade was an inconvenience.

The walk so far was uneventful, sicking to the path less traveled to prevent unwanted hoards from scenting you out on the open streets. Any low ground route immediately placed you in danger, but at this rate, traveling via street was the only realistic way to get to the control center.

The atmosphere was tense—even back at your new base. Ever since you left that break room, tension has hung thick, wrapping you up in its suffocating clutches, smothering you like a wet blanket. It was as if a hundred more bricks were placed on top of the mountain you were already carrying. At least when you were by yourself there was no drama.

But there was no time to dwell on whatever changes had been made. You were on a mission now. Restore power. But if the trek itself wasn't hard enough, keeping your head was. Every footfall seemed to beckon a snarl or groan from a nearby monster, waiting to find you defenseless to eat. It was horrific—the continuous and derailing presence of zombies causing your heart to leap into your throat at every step. It drained you both mentally and physically.

Zion and Lawrence on the other hand were doing seemingly fine. They walked behind you in silence—out of fear of you or the zombies, you couldn't tell. You wanted to strike up a conversation. Try to ease away the discomfort that hung thick over your shoulders, but it wasn't a wise choice. Even walking down on the barren and overturned street was a death sentence in itself, everything was all just too loud.

But alas, if your trip went smooth then this wouldn't be an apocalypse, right?

Before you really even knew what was happening, a loud snarl and scuffed footfalls seemed to roar in the quiet of travel. You turned quickly to see a zombie sprinting, dead-set on Zion.

"Left!" You called sharp, knowing the zombie's loud excitement was enough to call his brothers.

Zion snapped to the zombie, waiting until it leaped at him. He ducked and slid away, only to crack his pipe down onto its skull before the zombie could swipe at his legs.

"We gotta move, now." You directed, pace picking up to a light run. It was too far to sprint, and you needed cover fast. You could already hear the distant yelps of the monsters—ready for a fresh bite. Zion and Lawrence fell in pace behind you, knowing that staying put wouldn't lead to anything good.

It seemed like that one motherfucker let on an onslaught of new dangers. You could hear their distant growls drawing closer with every step forward. Your mind mimicked your feet, racing for an idea to keep everyone safe. Would it make sense to dip into a building you didn't know? Just continue running forward? Try and head back home?

But what if there were more zombies inside one of these random storefronts? What if you got ambushed by more zombies at the power station? Why if you got cut off and couldn't return?