chapter【5】

Soon enough, nighttime rolled around and everyone was finding places to sleep. There was one king bed and a less glorious queen, the size-sensitive love seat, two relatively large armchairs, a shit-ton of pillows, and blankets aplenty. The boys had decided that the girls would get the beds (so gentlemanly) but hit a buffer upon seeing you could only fit two girls in the queen, instead of three as they had on the king. So, divvying up the ladies, Judy and Emcee took queen while Sue, Hailey, and Scarlett got king. All offered for you to sleep on your loveseat, but you readily declined, deciding to sleep in front of the door with your bat in case anything went bump in the night. Jay decided to sleep in the loveseat and thankfully Eugene was small enough to fit in the armchairs when they were pushed together. That left you, Harry, Ethan, Lawrence, and Zion sleeping on the floor atop of a few pillows and underneath blankets. Yes, everyone got at least one pillow and blanket, not just the floor gang.

It was late. Didn't know the time, but you knew that it was well into the morning hours. Sitting up from your spot next to the door, you sat on your knees and scanned the room, eyes flickering from person to person. The girls were asleep, and so was Jay. Eugene was clocked out as far as you could tell, Zion had his trap wide open, Ethan was snoring lightly, Lawrence had his head covered up by his arms, and finally, Harry had his hands... on his temples.

You rustled the blanket, testing to see if the noise would cause any reaction out of him. Mauve eyes caught the soft emergency light above the door, snapping to meet your gaze. You held each other's stare before you broke the comfortable silence.

"You okay?"

Harry paused as his eyes grew wider, seemingly caught off guard by your docile demeanor. "Yeah... I guess."

Your gaze became more intense as you searched his face for an actual answer. Shaking your head, you stood up and squatted down next to him, (e/c) hues roaming over his face, lingering a hair too long on his lips.

"Liar." You said, sure that he could feel your breath fanning his face. "Tell me what's wrong."

"I... Just a small headache..." He explained, eyes finding everything except for your face.

Upon hearing this, you stood up and stepped around a slumbering Ethan. Turning, you waved at the still seated Harry to follow you, to which he did. Now that you two were in the bathroom, you shut the door and flicked on the light.

Boy, was Harry's face red.

"Oh shit. You sure you're not running a fever?" You inquired, pressing the backside of your hand against his forehead.

"I-I'm not sick... just a headache."

You hummed in response, squatting down to open a cabinet and found a small container full of various pain medications.

"One to ten?" You asked, waiting patiently for an answer.

"What?"

"On a scale of one to ten, how bad is it?"

"Um.. an eleven."

Your eyes widened as you grabbed some extra strength acetaminophen before popping out two of the white pills. He gratefully took them from your hand as you filled a plastic cup with water for the male to down the medicine.

He tossed back the painkillers and took a swig of water, verbally claiming that he had finished. Reaching to open the door, you were stopped by Harry's hand on your shoulder.

"(F/n)?" He asked, eyes darting to yours meekly.

You hummed in response, turning towards him.

A strong pair of arms wrapped around your smaller frame as Harry buried his face in the crook of your neck. Your hands hovered at your sides, unsure of what to do. You hadn't had this sort of intimacy in months... it felt, strange. But also invoked nostalgia of a simpler time. With him hugging you like this, your hidden maternal nature kicked in, used to comforting your younger brother when you guys had been separated from your mother, and when you had reassured your older sister after your brother was lost. And finally, when you wrapped your arms around yourself, an orphan to the apocalypse.

Your toned arms wrapped around Harry, fingers rubbing circles into his back. "Hey, hey... what's wrong? Did I do something?"

"Thank you," Harry muttered out.

"For what?" You inquired, voice raising pitch in confusion.

"For saving us. We would all be mindless zombies if you weren't as hospitable as you are, so thank you." He whispered into your skin, allowing you to comb your digits through his silky silver locks.

"I'm just doing what any sane person would during the zombie apocalypse." You explained, comforting the male.

He pulled away, a soft smile adorned his face. "I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"It was rude for me to hug you without asking..."

"Harry," You began, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You can hug me anytime. Sometimes what we need during the apocalypse is emotional support."

The male nodded along with you as you both rose up from the ground.

"Alrighty, Tiger. Let's get some sleep... tomorrow's a big day."

As the two of you left the now dark bathroom, you could've sworn you'd seen dark hazel eyes watching your every move as you stepped tentatively over and around masses of comforters that potentially held people sleeping peacefully underneath.

Plopping down into your nest of blankets and pillows, you noticed that the door was unlocked. Snapping your head back to the rest of the crew, nobody had moved from their spots as far as you could tell. But you swore to God you had locked the door—you always locked the door.

Suspicion fluttered in your stomach like butterflies as you relocked the door until finally, you reluctantly succumbed to sleep.