Chapter 6

"Belle."

I looked up, startled at the tone of his low voice. Warren had called my name from my window, sounding tortured. I moved to set my book aside, to go to him, but he didn't give me the chance. He was beside me in less than a second, his head propped on my shoulder. His pose touched and scared me in equal measures. His eyes were closed yet he wasn't calm. I sensed that he was in such agony he was fighting tears. I wanted to hold him but I wasn't sure what to do yet because I didn't know what was wrong. "Are you okay?"

His brows dipped in pain then he shook his head silently.

His pain knifed into me and it was all I could do to keep my voice steady. Following my first instinct, I wrapped my arms around him and soothed, "It's okay. I'm here."

He shifted so fast I didn't see the movement, just felt the gentle pressure he kept on my wrists. And then he was stretched out on my bed with his long legs draped over the edge. His head was in my lap and my arms were on his chest. His eyes were closed but I saw his thick lashes tremble.

I didn't know what to say. I just gazed at his face, feeling my own tears well up. To keep from falling apart, I begged, "Warren, please tell me what's wrong."

"I..." He took a deep breath, spoke softly again. "I made a fatal error in judgment that nearly cost my mother's life."

I gasped, instantly understanding the pain and guilt he was battling. Still, I had to know... "Where is she?"

"Private hospital - as is my family." He paused, then a single hot tear fell onto my arm. "I could not bear it, Belle. I know I must return yet I recoil from the thought."

And he'd come straight to me.

The knowledge humbled me, left me slightly stricken. I calmed myself and, wiping his tear away, I said, "Hey, it's okay. I'm here for you and I'm coming with you. Everything will be fine, you'll see."

He looked up at me and his eyes held such a potent mixture of pain and gratitude that I had to drop mine and swallow the lump in my throat. "Always optimistic," he mused, then sat up. He dropped my arms only so he could pull me closer. He held me tightly and I clung to him, suddenly needing this almost as much as he did. After a bit, he sighed, "We must leave. I believe my family misses me."

"Okay, sure." I drew a breath, getting myself under control, and located my shoes.

I was alone in the house so I wasn't surprised when he took me out the window. His car wasn't in the driveway - which meant he'd literally just run to me. It still awed me, the way he'd automatically turned to me.

As we went to my car he was only holding my hand, needing the child-like comfort in that simple touch. Ever the gentleman, he opened the door for me and I noticed that he intended to drive. "Maybe I should drive."

His lips twitched in slight amusement. "I am no danger to society."

"It's not society I'm worried about."

"I would never endanger your life."

"I thought I was part of society," I half joked.

His eyes were powerful as he replied, "Never." Still, I knew he'd understood me when he added, "Do not worry about my stability."

I nodded and got in. Warren got in too and even as he brought the car to life, he had my hand trapped in his.

He didn't speak.

All through the drive, his eyes were fixed on the road as he occasionally brought my hand to his lips. It hurt to look at him, to see him like that. After a while I looked away, seeing nothing out the window. I needed to control the sobs that threatened to erupt and the tears that kept filling my eyes.