Chapter 13

I slowly came to, wondering what all the fuss was about.

Victor was cursing incessantly in my ear and shaking my shoulder. "Belle? Belle, open your eyes. Come on, baby don't do this to me. Please open your eyes for me."

I struggled to find the strength to open them. He cursed viciously and left my side as the cursing started up again. I finally pried one bleary eye open and saw him pacing as he agitatedly pulled at his hair. I registered a shrill beeping sound but didn't care about it. All I wanted to do was sleep. Whatever Victor had done, we'd fix it in the morning.

I sighed and darkness enveloped me.

***
I woke groggily, struggling to focus my mind. Somehow it felt foggy, like I hadn't had a good night's sleep. I fought my eyes open and squinted in the dark room. Where was I? What time was it? And why did I feel like I'd been run over?

I rolled over onto my back and stared up at the ceiling, trying to figure anything out. It came to me slowly. I came...somewhere with Victor. Wait, Victor. I rolled over in bed, instantly anxious to find him. I sat up slowly, moving sluggishly, and took a deep breath to steady myself.

Damn, I was tired!

"Vic?" My voice croaked so low I barely heard it. I cleared a dry throat and suddenly desperately needed water.

A hand appeared in my line of vision attached to a clear glass. I took the glass gratefully and took greedy sips of the water. The pain in my throat eased and I breathed easier.

I looked up and found Victor walking away from me, pushing his bright hair back. Every line of his body was rigid as he yanked the curtains back and the room flooded with late morning light.

I yelped at the sudden assault on my eyes and held an arm up to shield them. "Give me a warning, please?"

He didn't respond. I made out his pale form striding over to a table and I took the moment to study the room curiously. It wasn't mine or his. "Where are we, anyway?"

"Hotel," he responded absently, walking back to me.

I ran a hand through my hair. "When did we make it to a hotel?" I wondered. "What happened last night?" My hand landed on my neck brushed against something that felt suspiciously like a bandage. Frowning, I fingered it and realised that it really was a bandage. I looked up at Victor in alarm - just as he dropped a phone on my bed.

"It's been ringing all night," he said emotionlessly, avoiding my eyes. "I had to switch the ringer off. We need to go before your avenging angels come after us."

My eyes dropped to the phone that was ringing even now - silently of course - and I saw Warren's name flashing at me.

Avenging angels?

I looked back up at Victor, my voice urgent now. "What happened last night?"

He looked away, pushing his hair back again. How had I gotten a bandage on my neck? I didn't remember getting hurt. My memories from last night hazy, there was a skating park and I think there was a diner... None of that merited a bandage, much less in such a weird place.  I spotted a mirror across the room and struggled out of bed, stumbling my way towards the mirror. From the corner of my eye I saw Victor reach out to steady me then freeze midway, his hands fisting.

I barely registered it though - I was too focused on the mirror. I was in one of my sleep shirts and my hair was a nest on my head, but what really caught my attention was the white bandage that covered my neck on one side. I approached the mirror slowly, fingering the bandage again. I frowned as I tried to remember last night. "Where did I get this thing?" At the silence I turned to find him standing still right where he was a minute ago. "Vic? How did -"