2

(Y/n) hated the gardens by the time lunch rolled around. Her nails had dirt caked under all of them, which was disgusting and she had dismissed herself early to wash them off in the small pond, though she knew they were just going to get dirty again. 

She didn't like the sun, or the dirt, or pulling weeds out. Zart was okay, and Newt was a Track-Hoe, but she knew that wouldn't keep her there. Newt seemed to pick up on her dislike of gardening pretty quick as she had thrown one of the weeds so hard it had knocked her basket over and spilled the rest of them out. 

"Not your thing?" he asked, leaning on his shovel and nodding at her tipped basket. 

"No," she instantly replied, bending down and scooping the weeds back into her basket. She set it upright and stood up, picking up her spade and taking a half-hearted jab at a misplaced dandelion. Newt chuckled, stepping over to her and handing her his shovel. 

"Go help Zart plant these," he said, gesturing to a different basket filled with seeds. He took her spade out of her hands and dug out the dandelion with practiced ease. "I've got this handled here." 

(Y/n) picked up the basket and trudged over to where Zart was digging holes into the ground. She set it down, hurrying back to retrieve the fallen shovel, and waited for instructions. 

The rest of the day went by something like that. She'd stick with a certain 'planting' job for a bit, then get tired of it, and Newt would switch her to a different one. She somehow made it to dinner, thudding onto the bench on one of the lonelier tables. She set her food down, pushing a squishy potato around while she gathered her bearings. 

And then her personal space was invaded by a group of boys looking for a place to sit. She blinked at the sudden change in atmosphere, the boys crowding in next to and across from her. 

"Hey, Greenie. Nice fight you had with Gally last night," one of them said. She stared at him and he nudged his friend, snickering. 

"Cat got your tongue?" a blond Runner asked. "Maybe even a little awed?" She shifted her gaze to him and tilted her head slightly, narrowing her eyes. 

"Are you?" One of the other Runners burst out laughing as she said this and the blond Runner slowly nodded his head, scrutinizing her. "I mean, Gally did say no one had beat him before, so...." 

"Okay, don't go pushing your limits," he said, settling a hand on the table. "You haven't been out in the Maze. Neither has Gally." 

"Oh, come on, Ben," the previously laughing Runner said, though he was still huffing. "Look at him. I bet he could be a better Runner than you, big guy." Ben turned abruptly to his teammate and (Y/n)'s face flushed red. She looked away, though instantly noticed that another Runner was looking at her. 

Minho. Keeper of the Runners. She vaguely recalled Newt pointing him out to her and seeing him after her scuffle with Gally, but she hadn't remembered his name at the time since she'd still been a little dazed and confused. 

But, you know, that seemed to be the case with everyone. 

Minho looked away first, lifting his food to his mouth. He sat next to another Runner, but both were focused on eating, and the Keeper looked like he was brooding. She quickly looked away after that, shoveling her food into her mouth so she could be done faster. 

"Are you tasting any of that?" Ben asked, taking a slower bite of his own food. "You're supposed to eat it, not inhale it." 

She shook her head, swallowing. "Just tired and ready to get to bed. I think I might like just about anything except for gardening."