3

The next day she was in the Med-Jack hut, which she didn't actually consider better than the Slicers when she saw the Slicers come in with their sliced fingers and bloody hands. She vowed that she wouldn't throw up this time. She had no reason to as she wasn't digging her hands into dead animals.

Besides all that, apparently everyone had heard about her race with Ben. At dinner last night, a couple of boys she hadn't recognized had sat down by her, congratulating her. She had simply thanked them, focused on eating and getting away from the attention. She had heard snippets of a conversation about 'testing' and 'Keepers', and caught a, "What in the bloody name of the Maze, Minho?!" from Newt.

And Clint and Jeff, the Med-Jacks, had not-so-discreetly asked about being a Runner.

"Not that I know of," (Y/n) said as she helped Jeff organize a set of supplies. "You don't try to be a Runner, right? The Keeper chooses you. And I haven't spoken two words to Minho."

The two Med-Jacks exchanged glances. "What?" she asked.

"Nothing, I guess," Clint said. He turned back to his work. "When you're done with that come help me with this."

~

It was actually a rather slow day, mostly Slicers and a couple of Track-Hoes coming and going. (Y/n) didn't mind the inactivity, but the Med-Jacks assured her that this actually was considered a slow day. The worst was when someone got stung.

She had no idea what that meant but neither of them elaborated, however, judging by the looks on their faces, she didn't actually mind.

Other than that, the day went smoothly and by the time lunch rolled around, she was in a fairly good mood. 

"How's it in the Med-Jack hut, (M/n)?" Newt called, limping over and setting his plate down next to hers, sliding into the seat and digging in. 

"Not bad," she said. "But it's a slow day. I don't know if I can take it on a 'crazy day' or when someone gets stung. Whatever that means." Newt paused, then shrugged and continued eating. Apparently no one planned on telling her, which only solidified her belief that she didn't want to know. 

She finished eating with mild conversation between her and Newt before she stood up, returning her plate to Frypan and starting back towards the Med-Jack hut. 

"Surprise attack!" She yelped as someone jumped out at her and she leaped to the side, her attacker grabbing her legs and bringing them both to the ground. 

It was Ben. 

"Shouldn't you be in the Maze?" she shouted, scrambling away from him and onto her feet. 

"It's my off day." He stood up, brushing himself off. "Now come on, give me a good hit." 

"It's my doctor day." 

"Yeah, you ain't fit for a Med-Jack." 

"How do you know that?" 

"Heard about your day with the Slicers. Lots of blood with the Med-Jacks." 

"And, let me guess, when someone gets stung?" 

"That too. Now come on! Hit me!" (Y/n) frowned, stepping away from Ben.

"I've heard things," she said. "Things about tests? And what's all this stuff about me becoming a Runner? You don't just decide that, at least, not that I know of. Are you testing me because Minho told you to?" 

"Maybe, maybe not! You have some serious reflexes, that's for sure. Maybe I just want to see if you can keep up with me. I was a Builder before I was a Runner - maybe that's the job for you."