15 - Prevent

Later that week I was ready to fire both Tyrese and Jared, just to be done with this shit. How could I work next to someone knowing they were still tryin' leak my new songs. Sitting around waiting for the next shoe to drop was killing me. There was nothing worse than a traitor and I hated having one on my team.

Besides which, Tyrese was always in a bad mood lately cause of his girl. I hoped he dumped the bitch soon so we could all move on. And Jared seemed to be creeping around every corner in that quiet way of his. Although that was probably my imagination.

Taking a break I stomped into Paul's office and demanded an update.

"Marshall I'm working on it!" he said. "And storming in here every other day isn't gonna make it go any faster."

"What's taking so long?" I growled, flopping into a chair.

"We need irrefutable proof before accusing someone."

"Why can't we just fire them both?" I asked.

"We could," Paul stared at me over steepled fingers. "Is that what you want? To throw out a loyal employee with the trash?"

"Fuck," I sighed. "No."

"Then we need proof before we act."

I rubbed my beard, knowing he was right. "I'm sick of looking at them sideways and wondering, ya know?"

"Hopefully it won't be much longer. The IT consultant is designing an electronic trap. But it's complicated. You can't just smack this stuff together."

"I want this over," I said.

"I know," Paul nodded.

On my way back down to the studio, Denaun called, inviting me over to watch the football game. I told him I'd let him know after I sorted some things and hung up. I hoped to see Callie tonight. Sliding into that sweet pussy would do wonders for my mood.

I sent her a quick text.

     M: Wanna see u 2nite

Putting my phone away, I got back to work.

Jared cued up the song as I twirled in my chair. It was almost finished and I wanted to add a couple ad libs. When he nodded, I headed into the booth.

Listening to the playback I couldn't decide if I liked them or not.

"What do you think?" I asked Jared.

"It's better without," he said.

I stared at him. Now the quiet man has an opinion? What did that mean? If he was the leaker, he could be giving me opposite advice. If the song was better with the ad libs, he'd say he liked it better without. But if he wasn't the leaker, that was his honest opinion. Unless he had another motive altogether for fucking with my shit.

"What? You asked," Jared said. "But it's up to you."

"Right, sorry," I muttered, rubbing my hands over my face. "Thanks. My mind's on other things."

"You alright?" Jared asked.

"I doubt it," I said. "Let's leave the ad libs in for now."

By late afternoon I hadn't heard from Callie. It wasn't like her to leave me hanging. I texted again.

     M: ????!

Finished for the day with still no answer from Callie, I decided to just head over to her place. On the way, my phone dinged.

     C: No

No? No?! What the fuck? We'd see about that.

I arrived and banged on her door, but there was no answer. No car in the driveway was further evidence she wasn't home. Disappointed I wasn't getting my dick wet tonight, I drove to Denaun's to watch the game.

Slumped on the couch, I ate chips and struggled to focus on the game. But I couldn't seem to settle. Fidgeting with my phone, I turned it over and over in my hands.

"What's with you tonight man? Nat still giving ya trouble?" Denaun asked.

"Nah, I've had a couple blissful days without hearing from her. Just hope it's not the calm before the storm, ya know what I'm saying?"

"So what's going on?" he asked, taking a swig from a can of soda.

I shrugged. "Workin' with a traitor sucks. Watch the game."

The truth was Callie's no was bugging me. Normally she'd explain why she couldn't meet up. The single word response was unlike her. She'd mentioned a work event sometime this week. Was that tonight? I decided that had to be it and tried to concentrate on football.

My phone rang for a beat, then stopped. Checking the caller ID, I saw Callie's name. Sitting up, I immediately called her back. No answer. What the fuck was going on?

If it was another girl, I'd suspect they were playing games and seeking attention. But Callie had never done anything like that and it didn't seem her style.

"Yo, everything alright?" Denaun asked.

"I don't know," I said, staring at my phone. "It's probably nothing."

There was ten minutes left in the half. Once the clock ticked down, I excused myself and went out on the deck to try calling Callie again.

"Hello?" Callie answered on the third ring.

Relief washed over me. She was okay. Followed quickly by anger. If she was fine, why the fuck hadn't she answered any of my calls or texts?

"Where the fuck have you been?" I demanded. "Why'd you call and hang up earlier?"

"Sorry," she said, slurring slightly. "Tryin' call cab, hit your number ... mistake. Then Dickwad ..."

Dickwad? The sleazy partner at her firm?

"Then Dickwad what?" I asked, starting to pace the deck. "Have you been drinking? Where are you?"

"I ... work thing. Two glasses wine ... I'm sure. Don't feel right ..."

The more she spoke, the less she sounded okay.

"There you are Callie," I heard a loud male voice in the background say. "You keep running away from me."

"Phone," Callie said. "Don't touch me!"

"Let's just hang up, shall we?" the voice said.

Panic shot through me. "Callie! Where are you?"

"Plaza Hotel ... conference room," she said. "Down hall, washro – "

"Go back to the conference room. Make sure there are people around. I'm coming to get you!" I shouted, before the line went dead.

Running back inside, I grabbed my jacket and shouted to Denaun that I'd call him later. Then I was in the SUV, racing to the Plaza Hotel. If that motherfucker did anything to her, I'd kill him.

Pulling up to valet parking, I shoved bills at the attendant and told him to keep the SUV there, that I'd be right back. Pulling my hood up to hide my face, I hoped I wouldn't be recognized before I found Callie. In the lobby I looked around for signs to the Conference room and hurried in that direction.

Opening the door, I scanned the room searching for Callie. There were maybe a hundred people in suits milling around, drinks in hand. But I didn't see her.

What else had she said on the phone? Something about the washrooms. Back in the lobby, I spotted a sign pointing down a hallway. Heading that way, I saw a seating area outside of the washrooms. Above the top of one chair leaned a blonde head.

"Callie!" I called.

Suddenly a man's head popped up in the chair next to her. What the fuck? I jogged to the chairs and looked down at Callie. Her eyes were open but glazed. I glared at the man as he stood, smoothing down his suit jacket.

"What the fuck were you doing to her?" I demanded.

"I was making sure she was alright. She doesn't seem to be well, probably drank too much. I'm a colleague."

Looking down, I saw Callie's blouse was wrinkled. She was almost unconscious and this douche had been feeling her up. The sick fuck.

"I'll take it from here," I said through tight lips.

"Not necessary. I've called us a cab. I'll make sure she gets home," he smiled, showing bright white teeth.

Yeah right. He probably had a hotel room upstairs waiting. My jaw tightened at the thought.

"No. She's coming with me," I said.

"And who are you?" he asked, looking scornfully over my hoodie and sweatpants. "I can't let her go with just anyone in her state."

"She called me earlier to come get her," I said, taking a step closer to him, fists clenched, daring him to start something. I was dying to wreck those teeth. "Right before she told you not to touch her and you hung up her phone."

"Oh." Dickwad suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Well, if you're sure ... "

"I'm sure," I said, staring him down.

Dickwad looked down at Callie, then back at me. With a scowl, he hurried away.

I knelt beside the chair and smoothed hair back from her face . "Hey. Are you able to stand?"

Callie gave a slight nod. Wrapping an arm around her waist, I pulled her to her feet. We shuffled to the entrance and the valet helped me settle Callie in the passenger seat of the SUV. As I drove away from the hotel, I glanced over at her. She had a blank look on her face and was fighting to keep her eyes open. I was sure Dickwad had slipped her something.

What now? I couldn't take her home and just leave her. She could vomited and choked or something. She needed someone with her tonight. I could stay at her place again. But I was tired, worried and my place was closer. I drove home.

Helping Callie up the stairs, she struggled to make her limbs move properly.

"Almost there, I got you," I said.

In the bedroom, I stripped off her clothes and lay her in bed. "It's okay now. Sleep," I said and she closed her eyes.

Crawling into bed, I pulled her against me and tried not to think about that slime ball with his hands on her. True, Callie was just a slut. But I'd started thinking of her as my slut. And I wasn't about to share with Dickwad.

Eventually I fell asleep.

Thrashing and curses woke me hours later.

"You sick mother fucker! Where are my clothes!" Callie screamed, smacking me.

"Yo! Calm down!" I struggled awake and grabbed her wrists.

"Marshall?" she asked.

"Imma let go and turn on the light, okay? Don't fucking hit me!" I said groggily, before turning to the side table and lamp. The sudden light hurt my eyes and I squinted at Callie. "What's the matter?"

"How ... " she licked her lips as her eyes darted around the unfamiliar room. "What happened? Where am I? Why are you here?"

"Dickwad roofied you at the work event. My house. Because it's my fucking house," I answered, laying back down and closing my eyes.

"Uh ... what happened in between being roofied and your house?"

"You called me, barely making sense. I went and got you. Before Dickwad did anything."

There was a long silence and I thought maybe Callie had fallen back asleep.

"Thank you," she finally whispered.

I grunted. "Can we go back to sleep now?

"I've got a better idea," she said.

I felt her hand stroke my dick under the covers. Yeah, that was better I thought, rising to the occasion.